Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,900   Posts: 1,521,090   Online: 999

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul,

the Classic Pan 400 (= Fortepan 400) are indeed "classic" film from Hungary, quite different from modern emulsions. Seems like a lot of Germans over here have experience with it, here's a summary:

- Famous for it's grain. Seems like fans of that kind of grain do like the film.
    - Classic look, good midtones.
    - Sharpness okay
    - Exposing the 400 at ~ 200 ASA not a bad idea.
    - Classic Pan is more like a tungsten, not a daylight film, with it's expanded red sensibility.
    - D76 / ID11 seem to deal quite well with it.

General problem: The manufacturer does not have quality control comparable to, say, Ilford. The film can behave quite differently depending when and where you got it. People here call it a film for enthusiasts, but most users are disappointed by it and discontinued using it. Personally I only used it for a few rolls, long time ago, in 35mm. The results were horrible, but that of course was also due to the small neg size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi: I've been tray developing JandC 400 in HC110 dil. H, with very good results, and have not been experiencing excessive grain. In fact, I like the look of the film. I enlarge to 11X14 on Kentmere and get some pretty smooth skies, nothing like what I saw on your scan.
    Like others, I've always thought Kodak has done everyone a diservice by promoting B as the standard dilution. I've always gotten better results by using a greater dilution, usually E or H.
    I'm exposing at e.i. 200, and developing for 8 min. at 70 degrees, with one flip through the stack every 30 seconds for agitation. Then, water for stop and 4 min in Photographers' Formulary TF-4 rapid fix. (Talk about mixing your brands. You should see what I do with designer clothes.)
    Not sure if any of this is relevant since you use a Jobo. I love those things (I used one at a place I used to work for) but they're soooo much more expensive than a set of trays. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

7 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    Good question. I used B and since it was a new film/dev combo for me, I used Massive Dev Chart times minus 20% for contstant agitation. (About 7 minutes)

Ah, 7 min is way too long. I usually do mine between 5.5-6.5 min depending on the contrast of what was shot. By looking at your scans, while it's not quite a grain-fest, it does seem to show more grain than would be expected from LF film.

Rolleijoe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here`s a picture
    Classic 400, HC-100 Dil H in a CEP-2.
    Developed in dil B I get more grain too, in dil H it seems smoother.
    Amund

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin