Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,774   Posts: 1,516,651   Online: 1141

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lots of Grain with Classic 400 and HC110 Rotary Processed

I am wondering if I have the wrong film/developer/agitation combo here or is this what others experience with Classic Pan 400 film. I developed 4X5 sheets in a Joboi, using a manual contstant agitation floating in a water bath. The density was a bit high, I think I need to reduce my times a little, but I love the contrast and thought that the image came out beautifully, except for way more grain than I expect from 4X5 film.

When I printed this to 11X14, it looked more grainy than what I am used to with TX and 645 fomat negs. That is a ton of grain for 4X5. Is this a bad developer for the film or for constant agitation? Do you also wonder if maybe I was too agressive with the speed at which I spun the drum? Any other ideas?

I am attaching a couple of scans. One is most of the image and the other a crop of part of the image to show grain. I have only done unsharp mask, 100% at 1 pixel, to the scan, not other manipulation. Excuse the crap from the scanner bed!

Thanks!

Paul.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grain_2.jpg   grain_1.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Paul,

Well, on the bright side, the highlights aren't blocked up . I agree, that grain is way more than I would have expected. I've not tried Classic 400 but, do have some little bit of experience doing TXP in HC-110 with continuous rotation (Jobo tank, lego lift). I use dilution D and have never seen grain like this - not even with 35mm at 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Paul,

Well, on the bright side, the highlights aren't blocked up . I agree, that grain is way more than I would have expected. I've not tried Classic 400 but, do have some little bit of experience doing TXP in HC-110 with continuous rotation (Jobo tank, lego lift). I use dilution D and have never seen grain like this - not even with 35mm at 8x10.
    That's it, I need to get me one of them lego lifts. I do have some TXP on the way, but I think I will burn a couple of sheets and try to replicate this with a lighter touch on the agitation. I am suspicious that I overdid it.

Thanks!

Paul.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    what dilution did you use Paul?

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    what dilution did you use Paul?

lee\c
    Good question. I used B and since it was a new film/dev combo for me, I used Massive Dev Chart times minus 20% for contstant agitation. (About 7 minutes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a CPP2 with lift but,...what is Lego Lift ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume Zuili
    Brad is a very inventive fellow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's for sure, I used to love Lego.
    Tell me more about it !
    Best,
    G.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume Zuili

Just a real simple contraption made of legos. A base plate some wheels. Motor and motor control are yet to be added.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Just a real simple contraption made of legos. A base plate some wheels. Motor and motor control are yet to be added.
    Cool...

Do you have a Lego robotics kit? My son has one. You could program your own custom agitation sequence with complete control over speeds, reversing, etc. It could stop and beep at the correct time for solution changes. The mind boggles...

If you really are using a lego lift-and-dump mechanism, you should post a photo.

Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin