Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,742   Online: 950

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Images
    Since I've rarely seen his name or books mentioned, I'm going to suggest taking a look at Eddie Ephraums' "Creative Elements". He demonstrates the possibilities of working with a negative and uses diagrams similar to Mr. Horn's example. And it's fun reading!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of even greater interest to me than his darkroom manipulations which seem pretty straightforward albeit involved and complex, are his retouching examples in the 'finishing' section on his site. Those are the excercises that rival, using traditional techniques, the best (and admitedly easier) reasons to use photoshop. I would LOVE to find out more about how they were done. I think it's a vital but quickly disappearing art that, if not maintained, will make digital (i.e. photoshop) adjustments all but inevitable as the only method for such work. That would be tragic, as expert practitioners have immense resources to bring to bear that are becoming obsolete if they aren't already so.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    Of even greater interest to me than his darkroom manipulations which seem pretty straightforward albeit involved and complex, are his retouching examples in the 'finishing' section on his site. Those are the excercises that rival, using traditional techniques, the best (and admitedly easier) reasons to use photoshop. I would LOVE to find out more about how they were done. I think it's a vital but quickly disappearing art that, if not maintained, will make digital (i.e. photoshop) adjustments all but inevitable as the only method for such work. That would be tragic, as expert practitioners have immense resources to bring to bear that are becoming obsolete if they aren't already so.
    Indeed nothing will be possible outside photoshop. It's a great tool for sure but there is something about these traditional working methodes. How many of us know how to apply an unsharp mask the regulair way?
    I am keen on learning these traditional techniques and I knew Photoshop quite well even before I ever developed my first negative. A print from the darkroom is still so much greater in my eyes.

cheers!
    Quinten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second the recommendation for Eddie Ephraums' books. I only wish that the illustrations were larger (I often find it hard to "see" what he is doing).

There is an Ansel Adams book out there that takes the same approach -- he describes what he did to each negative, and why, in terms of dodging and burning. Maybe someone could help me out with the name ... ?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It may be Examples, the making of 40 Photographs.

Try Larry Bartletts book on Black and white printing. this box has lots of how to examples.It is called Black and WHite Photographic Printing Workshop.

Les Mclean also has some great examples in his book on Creative Black and white photography.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    I second the recommendation for Eddie Ephraums' books. I only wish that the illustrations were larger (I often find it hard to "see" what he is doing).

There is an Ansel Adams book out there that takes the same approach -- he describes what he did to each negative, and why, in terms of dodging and burning. Maybe someone could help me out with the name ... ?
    I believe it it was "the making of 40 photographs"

mike

Images
    Sometimes I get an urge to find out where Mr Horn lives, go there and give him a good smack on the head. Just out of general darkroom frustration.
    N O Mennescio
    Spatial Nihilist

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by N O Mennescio
    Sometimes I get an urge to find out where Mr Horn lives, go there and give him a good smack on the head. Just out of general darkroom frustration.
    It is the same feeling you get when you try painting by numbers and expect it to turn out like a Gainsborough but it doesn't although in theory it should!

Pentaxuser

Images
    All I can say is this can seriously print. Amazing work on every page. If they look this good on my crappy work screen they must be pheeeenomeenal in real life.

Yes, I meant to mispell that word
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin