Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,705   Online: 915

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Can these prints be from one negative?

Maybe it is my english wich isn't my first language but maybe he really means these two prints ( http://www.f45.com/html/tech/techc2.html ) are from one negative.

It would be quite an example but I am in doubt since there is "so much" tone in those clouds on the second print wich seemed to be burned out on the first, while in the first the forground holds quite a bit of tone as well.

So my question is: Is this really possible?

cheers!
    Quinten

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, i believe he means this print was made from one negative.
    If the information is on the negative, then it is possible to print it on the paper; as you can see from the printing map, this was not an easy print to make.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten
    Is this really possible?
    Yup...that and more!

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Absolutely yes.... great latitude of that film!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Towards the end of his life Ansel Adams reprinted many of his negatives. The prints were much darker changing the entire look and feel of the subjects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes - and its lots of fun getting there

By the way, thanks for the link. I like the format of the print log, and there seems to be other good stuff there too!

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    Yes, i believe he means this print was made from one negative.
    If the information is on the negative, then it is possible to print it on the paper; as you can see from the printing map, this was not an easy print to make.
    I confess to finding it difficult to work out how this kind of burning and dodging is done without the risk of making as many problems as you solve. I have looked at the notes several times but still have difficulty following the exact sequence.

Would anyone who has been able to follow the sequence exactly be prepared to list the sequence in easy to follow steps. I have assumed that note one is for a 24 seconds overall print time. Notes 2 and 3 mean that during the 24 seconds the two blacked out areas were dodged for minus 6 and 7 second respectively so dodging started at 17 and then 18 seconds.

Presumably if the rest is additional burning then the dodged areas have to stay dodged and I'd have run out of hands! Clearly the printer was able to do it all with only the same number of hands as I have. So I am missing something and its not extra hands!

It would be great to be able to do this but I need help in understanding the exact sequence.

Thanks

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own a bunch of Rolfe Horn's prints. they are all amazing. His best skill is in the darkroom. I have always wondered how my shots would look if printed by him...

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    learning to dodge and burn a very complex print takes a lot of practice and attention to detail. Making a diagram of the print and mapping it out before hand , or as one test each section helps. then check them off as they are completed.

then you just start working on each section, one at a time. Some prints may need 10 to 15 different times.

You usual start with the base exposure and work from there. You need to work out the dodge times, working backwards substracting from the base time. Burns are easier as it is a matter of adding the time to the base or starting time.

A foot switch helps as it leaves both hands free. It is more complicated to explain than to do.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A foot switch, a metronome, a flexible card, cards with various sizes of holes in them, and countless work prints in the darkroom garbage can is all it takes.

Murray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin