Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,450   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know that with Microphen, Ilford's times in the past have been off by one whole stop. ie - if you shot at 3200, you need to dev at Ilford's recommend time for 6400. I am not sure if that's the case with DDX, but you might want to research that.

I use 13:00 in Microphen 1+0, normal agitation at 20C.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I prefer developing by 1 extra stop with DDX
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Yes, I prefer developing by 1 extra stop with DDX
    So if I shoot at 3200 I should develop for 6400? Interesting.

I have half a roll of Delta 3200 I shot at a club that I haven't processed yet. The lighting is going to be different than what I am attempting this weekend (stage lights vs. table lamps and ambient indoor light), do you think that would be a good roll to do a quick development time test with? Since I'm shooting multiple rolls, maybe I'll develop them separately and check densities and adjust accordingly.

Thanks for the advice Kaiyen & Titrisol, you just saved my stuff from being underexposed by a stop.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    rate it at between 800 and 1600 and process in perceptol 1:3. long dev times but wonderful negs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    So if I shoot at 3200 I should develop for 6400? Interesting.
    Well, that's the case with Microphen and, apparently, also with DDX as per Pablo/titrisol's experiences.

I have half a roll of Delta 3200 I shot at a club that I haven't processed yet. The lighting is going to be different than what I am attempting this weekend (stage lights vs. table lamps and ambient indoor light), do you think that would be a good roll to do a quick development time test with?
    Well, Delta 3200 is a pretty low contrast film. For the stage lighting, you'll probably get great results using a developer like DDX or microphen, both of which are relatively low contrast developers. That combination will probably give you some nice negatives.

You may want to consider that dim, low contrast lighting might not work as well with Delta 3200. Just something to think about. Pushing a slower filim might give it more snap, and the grain will be smaller (though probably more intense).

So...never hurts to do a test roll, but I don't know if it'll be as useful since the lighting is so different.

Thanks for the advice Kaiyen & Titrisol, you just saved my stuff from being underexposed by a stop.
    from being under_developed_ by a stop

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll vote for DD-X.

Here's a hint: Shoot at 3200 ( or whatever ) but shoot a test roll that you can cut into short clips for development testing.

Take a careful look at the Ilford poop sheet:
    http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/delta3200.pdf

With DDX, EI 1600 is a normal gamma of .58 ( 8 minutes )
    EI 3200 ( 9 1/2 minutes ) you're still normal-ish, at .65.

The curves suggest a shoulder in fleshtone highlights, the 9 1/2 ' development time is probably a better choice than 8, it'll push the highlights back up where you expect them to be... confirming the advice given here ... develop for the next highest EI. The 12' time, though, promises a pretty high density for the highlights, but not dangerous !

Whether you're using Ilford or Kodak 3200, the negs will present the information in a different way than you accustomed. Have a great time.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to Lowell I received a sample of F76+ last february.

I thiink it is comparable to DDX in times and results.
    Last edited by titrisol; 11-30-2005 at 01:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever you do, do not use Rodinal 1+25 for 11 minutes @ 20°C. I not know many stops underdeveloped it turned out, but it sucked. XTOL 1+1 for 22 minutes @ 20°C worked out OK. Here's an example: http://blog.hform.se/article/153/jaegerdorffsplatsen

*h

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I recently shot a roll of Delta 3200, EI 1600 developed in DDX 1+4 for 8.5 minutes. I had to increase constrast a fair bit (I think it was 75M) to get the print I was aiming for. I think I'll probably increase the time to 9.5 minutes for the next roll...

The shots was made outside, in the shade with some sunlight. One shot was of my dog leaping over my prone wife....You've gotta love it when you can do stop action with medium format cameras with a long lens, and have everything be tack sharp - well, everything that needs to be sharp! I'll post the image tonite when I get home in the tech gallery....
    Cheers!

-klm.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Pablo,

I am sure you are thankful for Lowell Huff and his F76 and development info. The fact that he is not a subscriber or sponsor means he does not look at APUG.ORG as anything other than a place he can sell his goods without paying any commission. This is abuse in my opinion.

lee\c

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin