Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,877   Online: 972

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Some old chemicals

Hello, all.

I was working up on Manitoulin Island two weeks ago; at the same time visiting with old friends. She's a talented photographer of growing reputation. Some 2 years ago she was given the entire darkroom of the local weekly newspaper. She'd just switched to digital about that time, but she's kept the whole lab in her basement, unable to get rid of it out of respect for her film roots (and a little guilt, I suspect).

I asked her to show me this stuff. I must have "oohed" audibly b/c she said. "take it all; it'll make me very happy to clean out the basement!". So, in fact, we did indeed clean. We filled 2 recycling boxes with old paper and old chemical bottles and we filled 2 big garbage cans.

I have now washed (there was literally an inch of dust on some parts) and painted the old Omega D-2 and will set it up soon. I salvaged a big box full of equipment for a friend who's slowly getting back into darkroom.

I currently use an excellent little B-22, but this D-2 will get me started on 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SO, I wanted to ask about a couple of chemicals, of indeterminate age, that came with the load:

-About 7 packages of powdered Kodak D76, still good?
    -about a dozen packages of powdered Kodak fixer. I've always used Ilford Rapid.
    -A bottle of liquid Kodak Versatol; doesn't look like it's ever been opened. Worth trying? What are it's qualities, shortcomings?
    -a can of powdered Kodak DK-50. Qualities, shortcomings, worth trying?

Thanks
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The cans and the bottled developer are probably good. The D76 probably is but I would give it a clip test to check it's strength before commiting any real images to it. The fixer should be okay too. Best way to tell is if when mixed you see a lot of free sulfur floating in the solution toss it.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tmike
    SO, I wanted to ask about a couple of chemicals, of indeterminate age, that came with the load:

-About 7 packages of powdered Kodak D76, still good?
    -about a dozen packages of powdered Kodak fixer. I've always used Ilford Rapid.
    -A bottle of liquid Kodak Versatol; doesn't look like it's ever been opened. Worth trying? What are it's qualities, shortcomings?
    -a can of powdered Kodak DK-50. Qualities, shortcomings, worth trying?

Thanks
    Kodak Dk-50 is a fillm developer and it should be fine. See The APUg Chemical Recipes section: http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=78

The Kodak powderered fixer should also be ok (it is almost certainly a Sodium Thiosulfate based fixer) - thus not a rapid fixer. The D76 should also be ok.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The D-76, fixer, and DK-50 should still be good. If it's the really old stuff that came in cans, I'd be even more optimistic. The Versatol is a liquid developer? Probably bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies.

Cheers from snowy Ottawa
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin