Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,531   Online: 889

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Technidol - any formula available?

I guess the title says it all - I've searched both the web in general and the Kodak website to no avail.

cheers and thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You probably won't find one, but if you have a copy of Anchell's "Darkroom Cookbook", there are other low-contrast dev formulas in there.

Some folks are doing TechPan (if this is what you're after) in Rodinal at very high dilutions, something like 1+100 or 1+200. A search here may tell more.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Photographer's Formulary has something that is supposed to be similar to Technidol.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thank you for the replies folks - I was kind of afraid that it might not be available as a recipe. I was able to find the MSDS for it, so now I need to research just what the contents list means.

cheers and thank you again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Search the web for the following developers: Burton, Collins, Delagi, HFD-301, H&W Control, Perfection XR-1, POTA, SD-2415, T/O XDR-4, TDLC-3.

Developers for Tech Pan or microfilm use either very dilute solutions or a Phenidone only based developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Gerald and I've personally had the best results With Techpan developed in Perfection XR1. Looks to me like H&W Conrol should work well also. I've been intending to cook some up and try it out.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, according to Kodak's MSDS technidol is a phenidone/hydroquinone (i.e. PQ)developer that uses DIETHYLENE GLYCOL as the solvent. H&W Control is also a PQ developer. A public domain H&W recipe is available on the internet:

H&W Solution A:
    Water 50 ml*
    Sodium sulfite 1 g
    Hydroquinone 0.16 g
    Sodium carbonate 4.6 g
    Phenidone 1.1 g
    H&W Solution B
    Water 50 ml*
    Sodium sulfite 8 g
    Add Solution A to Solution B, then add water to make 132 ml of concentrate.
    Phenidone dissolves with difficulty. Use water at approximately 55° (approximately 130°F). Mix the chemicals in the order shown, and be sure each is completely dissolved before adding the next.
    This is a concentrate. To use, add water to make to 2.1 litres of working solution. Process at normal development temperatures with intermittent agitation for 14 to 18 minutes.*

Use with Bluefire Police, Agfa and Fuji microfilms, and Kodak Technical Pan. Gives unacceptably flat images on ordinary films.*

Shelf life is approximately six months in a full, tightly capped glass or PET bottle, less than one week in a partly full bottle. Refrigeration prolongs shelf life.

I've formulated a TEA (Triethanolamine version of H&W Control which I will be trying out) I'll post my recipe and the results.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thank you Gerald and Tom. I did the search for XR1 and the contents "seem" to be a close match (this coming from a non-chemist = me ) for the contents listed in the Kodak Technidol msds as Tom has already said. . This may seem a bit silly, but seeing as I have 60 ($cheap) rolls of this stuff, I'm going to dilute some D23 and try it - nothing to lose eh? If it doesn't work, I'll mix the XR1 and do the next roll in it.

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    Thank you Gerald and Tom. I did the search for XR1 and the contents "seem" to be a close match (this coming from a non-chemist = me ) for the contents listed in the Kodak Technidol msds as Tom has already said. . This may seem a bit silly, but seeing as I have 60 ($cheap) rolls of this stuff, I'm going to dilute some D23 and try it - nothing to lose eh? If it doesn't work, I'll mix the XR1 and do the next roll in it.

cheers
    You can get good results with FX-39. Here is a curve from Foto Import ( that is pretty much what I've obtained ) Reducing the agitation from 5 seconds twice per minute, and extending the development time, lowers the gamma above .9, but as it is, it's quite a nice answer for that finicky film.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    I'm going to dilute some D23 and try it -
    I've put a few rolls of 120 through a 1 gram metol
    1% sulfite by volume brew. At the time the volume
    was 375ml. Were I to repeat those trials I would
    use 500ml. I now use a two reel Kindermann for
    a roll. On a liter basis the formula is 2 grams
    metol and 10 grams sulfite. Consider it a
    low sulfite D23.

I liked the results with Tech. Pan. I did not
    continue with the trials. Tech. Pan went to
    $7 plus a roll and I quit buying. Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin