Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,189   Online: 1149

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

For Ottawa area DIY'ers - chemicals source

With no disrespect intended to JDPhotoChem who have given me excellent service ... I have found this company in Ottawa who will order whatever they don't stock (apparently). I intend to try them soon. When I walked in the front door, they asked how they could help and when I told them what I wanted the chemicals for, they thought it was a perfectly normal request - these people are twisted !!

B S C Inc
    613-744-8896
    1456B Cyrville Road,
    Gloucester, ON K1B 3L9

I have no connection with them. They were referred by my local Henry's Photo store.

cheers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Interesting, John. Never heard of them. One question, though, what are their prices like compared to JDPhotochem ???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And make sure they understand photographic needs. Or at least they will get you exactly what you ask for and not something they think is "better" or just the same.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    Interesting, John. Never heard of them. One question, though, what are their prices like compared to JDPhotochem ???
    On their price list, which is rather short on photo related c hemicals, a couple of items such as glacial Acetic acid and sodium metabisulphite were sustantially cheaper. I am going to email them and ask about a couple of things - maybe I can include a couple of items to price for you?
    The one drawback to BSC and benefit to dealing with JDphotochem is that JD will sell small amounts (and so the reason for the higher pricing - quite understandable) whereas BSC will only sell special order items at manufacturers minimum volumes - ie : 20L or 22kg etc. I bought a 4L of isopropyl 99% alcohol bercause I can't find it in the drugstores in that size - It was $14.85 + tx. - not too bad I think.

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want bigger sizes just ask JD. The advantage of a local source is you'll save on shipping.

Did you really need 99%? You can buy 70% 1litre locally for about $1 [I think that's right]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    If you want bigger sizes just ask JD. The advantage of a local source is you'll save on shipping.

Did you really need 99%? You can buy 70% 1litre locally for about $1 [I think that's right]
    Hi Nick

I'm not sure that I needed 99%, but I figured that if I was going to try to use it for rinsing negatives before hanging to dry, I should get it as pure as possible. I've only been able to find 500ml bottles of even 70% around here nothing bigger on either type and the price runs a couple of bucks - welcome to Ottawa ...

cheers eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you use it straight or does it get diluted some? If it gets diluted then you just need to use less water with the 70%.

I'm only going on memory for price and size. With my memory :rolleyes: any thing is possible -)

Isopropyl Alcohol (99%) 25.0 ml
    If 70% rubbing alcohol is used 35.0 ml
    Photo Flo 2.5 ml
    Water to make 1.0 liter

That's the formula I have. Even a 500ml bottle of 70% makes a lot of solution up.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin