Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,457   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    This is most distressing news. I was so hoping to be a pallbearer.
    Such a positive attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen
    I received previously backordered Neutol WA from Adorama with a new "Agfa Photo" label on it last week. The previous shipments from both Calumet and Adorama had an Agfa-Gevaert label. Looks like the chemicals are making there way into the pipeline.
    The packages marked Agfa-Photo are from the Agfa-Photo which is now out of business. The Gevaert product was form before the spin off of Agfa Photo last year. This is not new product.
    www.jandcphoto.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I tried to go back and re-read that link again, but it doesn't seem to be working.

At the first posting i read that article many times, and if it is the same one i am thinking about it is very unclear about what is happening. Most of the article has to do with the minilab situation, not with paper, chemicals, etc. that we use. Am i the only one who took away this impression?

Altho, i use very little of Agfa products, i hope that the hopes of those who are using a great deal of their product are not just wishful thinking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    Most of the article has to do with the minilab situation,
    not with paper, chemicals, etc. that we use.
    Let's hope the Crumbs are worth their taking.
    And continuing. Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    well I cant even access the article so I am very skeptical that it contains good news. My good news is 9 bottles of Rodinal in the cabinet.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    Developer Incorporated Emulsions. Not two years ago
    I was assured by Freestyle that NONE of their GRADED
    papers, FB or RC were of the DI type. They do carry a
    large selection of Graded papers.

As for VC FB papers, I doubt there are any of the DI type.
    If there are no DI VC or Graded Fiber Base papers then there
    are NO FB papers with DI.

I do not know about VC RC papers. There may be some
    DI. Although popular for machine processing some years
    ago, prior and post processing stability was poor. Dan
    Well, there's DI and then there's DI. Ilford's papers (I've read) all have low levels of developer incorporated, even though none of them have such high levels as to be capable of processing in a plain alkali solution. They do this to make the emulsion faster without resorting to larger halide grains, sensitizing dyes, and the like -- but it still reduces the storage life of the paper (even when frozen) compared to the multi-decade life of papers made in, say, the 1960s.

The bottom line is, it's hard to be certain -- a manufacturer will tell you what they think you want to hear, to some extent, knowing it'll be 10-15 years before you'll see the paper fog in storage and know they lied (and by that time, they can probably blame chemical or thermal fogging because few users will know the entire storage history of their paper, much less be certain it's immaculate). Ask PhotoEngineer about developing agents incorporated in papers -- he might even know if there are any brands you can be certain don't have it (but I doubt it).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin