Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,558,012   Online: 1121

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Great news for Rodinal addicts

http://www.bjp-online.co.uk/public/s...ml?page=305832

Rodinal isn`t dead yet.

Quote: "Mr. Michael Mueller, CEO of a & o group said in a statement: 'The contract of purchase has been signed. The production of chemicals for all films and papers that are necessary for the development of photographs will continue on this site.

'About 50 highly qualified employees of AgfaPhoto will be adopted too."

Morten, bring out the Champagne
    Amund

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    That is indeed very good news...

May the Rodinal be with you all...

PJ
    Patrick Jan Van Hove
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera"
    Mamut Photo, The Ultra-Large-Format photography homepage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whether or not Rodinal will be continued doesn't make a whole lot of difference. If you can't get the Agfa branded stuff, there are substitutes available. It is good for some things, and works especially well with slower films in medium and large formats especially if you can tolerate the loss of a bit of film speed. Developing films to match their speed rating results in a somewhat higher than normal contrast negative; something that is not always and acceptable comprimise. In the worst case, you can mix your own from raw chemicals. Losing Agfa Rodinal is no big deal.

The discontinuance of Agfa's MCC and MCP line of papers is a much greater loss. Until quite recently, their papers represented a very high quality product at a very affordable price. Even the pedestrian MCP 310 RC Glossy paper had a special look to it that I liked. The MCP 118 FB semi matte paper was really nice. Of course there are other good products available to relace these papers. They will undoubtedly become more expensive as the competition dwindles. And you know what else? I'm lazy! I know the Agfa papers and don't really relish the thought of looking for and testing new papers.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frank, I'm sorry to have to tell you, but the future of B&W is going to be getting used to new papers pretty much every time you buy paper. Even if you find a brand with longevity, the base and gelatin will, within a few more years, no longer be specially made photographic products, but adaptations of industrial products primarily used in other applications -- and as such, changes that affect their photographic performance will be of essentially no import to the producers. Result: papers will change from run to run. This inability to guarantee long term consistency of product was partly behind Kodak's discontinuation of B&W papers well before film had run its course for them (or so I understand from my reading), and will surely become a significant issue with Forte, Adox, Foma, Ilford, Seagull, and any other printing paper you might settle on.

The only solution I can suggest is to find one of the rare products without developer-incorporated emulsion (there are still a couple, I understand), and buy a bunch all at once, with the same emulsion number. If it's not DI, it should store as well as old style papers did -- which is to say, decades in a freezer and it'll still print the same.

I can't afford to do it that way, so I'm starting to resign myself to the likelihood that I'll spend the first 20 sheets of a box of 100 learning the new paper well enough to get decent prints from it.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    The only solution I can suggest is to find one of
    the rare products without developer-incorporated
    emulsion (there are still a couple, I understand), ...
    Developer Incorporated Emulsions. Not two years ago
    I was assured by Freestyle that NONE of their GRADED
    papers, FB or RC were of the DI type. They do carry a
    large selection of Graded papers.

As for VC FB papers, I doubt there are any of the DI type.
    If there are no DI VC or Graded Fiber Base papers then there
    are NO FB papers with DI.

I do not know about VC RC papers. There may be some
    DI. Although popular for machine processing some years
    ago, prior and post processing stability was poor. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blix@broadpark.no

Rodinal isn`t dead yet.

Quote: "Mr. Michael Mueller, CEO of a & o group said in a statement: 'The contract of purchase has been signed. The production of chemicals for all films and papers that are necessary for the development of photographs will continue on this site.

I'm quite happy... although I now have about 8 liters of spare Rodinal!
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blix@broadpark.no

Rodinal isn`t dead yet.

Great! And for those 50 employees too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The BJP link isn't working for me. Can anyone confirm that the announcement also said Neutol WA will continue? Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I received previously backordered Neutol WA from Adorama with a new "Agfa Photo" label on it last week. The previous shipments from both Calumet and Adorama had an Agfa-Gevaert label. Looks like the chemicals are making there way into the pipeline.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is most distressing news. I was so hoping to be a pallbearer.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin