Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,508   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

B&W Film...what happened?

I was shooting color (E100GX) and B&W (Bergger 200) in a studio. All rolls were developed at a reputable lab in NYC. The color came back fine. The b&w film looked as if the edges (more on one edge than the other) were exposed to light - there are dark streaks along the edges. I thought there might be some sort of light leak (I use a Mamiya c330), but the color are fine. Also, there wasn't any "pattern" to my shooting - over two days, I shot color - then a roll of b&w - back to color, etc. This was also the first time I used Bergger - there aren't any marking on the processed film, i.e. frame number, film id.
    Any ideas? Is it me or the lab?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Edge streaking is mostly due to insufficient fixing.
    Go and complain at the lab :-)

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you scan a sample for us? That might help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Light leaking past the backing paper edges when loading/unloading?

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i don't have access to a scanner

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I think it's a problem with too wide a receiving spool, not camera, film and lab. I had this problem when accidentally used Soviet spool once with ORWO slide film The 120 film standart is well-established, but sometimes the spools from some film are just a bit narrower (and the paper backing gets jammed somehow by the sides), or just a tad wider, and you get light streaks. That's why it's advisable to use the taking spools from the same brand of film...

Your problem can be also related to an insufficiently tight film windind, but that's not usually the case with C330, and your color film proves it.

Cheers, Zhenya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    Can you scan a sample for us? That might help.
    Here you go - I was able to scan.
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like Zhenya's answer. Bergger's film is made in the Forte factory, and there has been some issue with 120 film from Efke and Forte (not Foma, though) leaking light. You just have to be a little more careful with it.

Load and unload in subdued light, and don't leave the roll sitting out in the light before or after loading. I have some spare opaque plastic bags left over from paper or sheet film, and I use them to store exposed rollfilm as I change it out of the camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a similar incident with some rolls of 35mm HP5 several months ago. All were factory loaded and processed myself along with numerous other rolls of B+W film. For some reason all the rolls of HP5 had light leaks along the edges. Couldn't tell you why they were there but I haven't had the problem since. Could be faulty spooling at the plant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem looks like the exposed film was not tightly wound and sealed with the adhesive paper after exposure. This problem is not uncommon and is almost always user error.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin