Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,382   Online: 733

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Today I printed two images, and both on two separate papers. One was Agfa MCC 118, and the other was Kentmere Fineprint VC.
    One of the images was from a fairly contrasty negative where I had to use a very low contrast filter, #0. On the Agfa paper I was able to render a perfect tone representing virtually the scale present in the negative. With the Kentmere, I had to choose between either blocked up highlights or lack of definition in the blacks.

Am I doing something wrong, or are the papers really that different? I noticed that the Kentmere is about twice as fast as the Agfa, for no good reason, in my mind, as shorter exposure times leads to inconsistencies when making multiple prints.

I'm not impressed. Will try Oriental Seagull next, along with Ilford.

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Holga
    jerry,

Great job on the comparison. Nice to see some head-to-head work being done to bolster some of the conjecture floating around. Too bad there's no APUG Wiki, would be great to store this sort of information in a central place -- maybe with scanned images of all the tested papers so the eye has something to share with the mind on the topic.

Again, saves me a bit of time.

-j

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by huggyviking
    On the Agfa paper I was able to render a perfect tone representing virtually the scale present in the negative. With the Kentmere, I had to choose between either blocked up highlights or lack of definition in the blacks.

Am I doing something wrong, or are the papers really that different?
    I suspect the latter. The latest (November/December, 2005) issue of Photo Techniques has a review of several papers, including Kentmere Fineprint VC and Agfa MCC 111 FB. The review of the Kentmere (which doubles as a review of Arista III VC FB) reads, in part, "their contrast range was limited, going from about a soft grade 1 to a hard grade 3 -- the shortest range of any of these papers. I measured the IDmaxes at 1.84 for the Arista, and 1.88 for the Kentmere." The Agfa review claims it achieved a contrast range from grade 0 to grade 5, but it's not exactly the paper you're using, so it's possible yours would be a bit different.

FWIW, the papers in the review that could do a full range of grades (0 to 5) were the Agfa MCC 111 FB, Ilford Multigrade FB Warmtone, Ilford Multigrade IV FB, and Oriental Seagull VC-FB II. (The Ilfords actually achieved grade 00.) The Kentmere, as noted in the above quote, produced the shortest range of grades. Bergger Prestige Variable CB, Bergger Prestige Variable NB, Forte Polygrade V FB, and Kodak Polymax Fine Art all produced grade 0 through grade 4, and Forte Polywarmtone FB Plus managed 1 to 4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I guess that confirms my findings of tonal range. I think the Kentmere could be used very successfully if the negs were tailored for it.

Thanks for sharing that knowledge. Oriental Seagull, here I come, and it had better be great paper...

Take care,

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin