Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,166   Posts: 1,614,405   Online: 988

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D76 question

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images

D76 question

L.S.,

Can you start using D76 straight after you made it from the powder, or do you need to leave it for some time for the buffers to become 'stable'?!

Thanks a lot in advance,
    SoulSurround

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done both and I can't see any difference. I don't know about stability, but some folks say you should let it sit for 24 hours for everything to dissolve; makes sense that way.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    I've done both and I can't see any difference. I don't know about stability, but some folks say you should let it sit for 24 hours for everything to dissolve; makes sense that way.
    Thanks! I'll leave it for 24 hours just to be sure. Do you know whether you can also leave a (120 roll) film in a (JoBo 1520) development-tank for 24 hours? I already wound the film on the spool this evening before finding out that I didn't have enough D76 left to process the film!

Thanks again,
    SoulSurround

Images
    I never tried it but I can't imagine that it would be a problem. If concerned, just keep it subdued light and throw a towel over it.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't prove any of this, but I've heard that you should leave it for about 24 hours before you use it. It is supposed to be more active than normal for the first 24 hours or so. As a matter of course I let it sit for a day or so, preferring to let it cool down to ambient temperature of it's own accord, rather than speeding up the process. Any undissolved bits go into solution in that time and my results are very consistent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't see why you can't leave the film on the spool in the tank--as long as it's clean and dry.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    I don't see why you can't leave the film on the spool in the tank--as long as it's clean and dry.
    Thanks y'all! This re-assures me a bit, as I am testing some Kodak 400TX for development times and it would be a shame if the results would be off due to some circumstance I hadn't thought of!

Thanks for giving me a piecefull night-rest :-).
    SoulSurround

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use D-76 as my main dev, and I've waited as little as 5 minutes before using it. I've never had bad results with D-76 (barring photographer error, of course). When you mix it up, you'll probably notice that everything doesn't dissolve right away. Other than that, it's fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    I use D-76 as my main dev, and I've waited as little as 5 minutes before using it. I've never had bad results with D-76 (barring photographer error, of course). When you mix it up, you'll probably notice that everything doesn't dissolve right away. Other than that, it's fine.
    I find that D76 and Dektol both undergo activity changes over the first 24 hours. This is well documented in Mees and Mees and James.

Kirk Keyes has posted some of the chemistry here.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been mixing D76 up and using it within about 1 hour for almost 18 years now, maybe I'll bone up on what Mees & Mees & James have to say.

I have Developing, by Jacobson & Jacobson 1980 edition which I've had for over 20 years now. Perhaps I'll reread some of it to see if I'm missing something.

I haven't seen any real difference, visually, in any of the films I've developed in that time, but you never know, eh?

What is it, about these dual named authors in photography?

Mick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin