Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,517   Online: 1050

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter, I can understand that. However, you missed out on such nuggets of 'truth' as:

[size=1]"I just used AZO dyes, not in the form of slides but in the form of a DVD-R"[/size]
    [size=1][/size]
    [size=1]"Put a pure carbon inkjet print on a fine art rag paper and a silver print on a sunlit windowsill. Look at the both again in a couple of weeks."[/size]
    [size=1][/size]
    [size=1]"It is a very easy method to simulate grain."[/size]
    [size=1][/size]
    [size=1]"Pure carbon pigment inks are even better."
    [/size]

[size=1]"Hey, I just looked at Andy K's gallery and guess what, There are digitized images in there"[/size]

That last one made me laugh, it obviously proved the pro-digital argument! :rolleyes:

Well, you get the picture, lol!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I hit the "submit" button I sort of worried how you may take my post - always a worry with the buletin boards - I am glad that you got my meaning.
    And you're right - I did miss out!
    I just know that I would just end up signing up for another forum and causing a "soap box" of their own, or my swift demise as a member, had I kept reading! I will have to learn not to under-estimate your suggestions, though, these are truly pure gold tid-bits!
    Mental note, when Andy says "read it!", I should read it, hehehehe
    I think these are going on my all time favorite list!
    Now... if I could just simulate my handwriting here... I could throw away all my pens!

Peter.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Remember the quote
    "From this moment on painting is dead" said by.....I forget
    The discovery of photography did not kill painting. Digital will not kill film.
    Jack B

[QUOTE=Curt]Who makes the paper and film we use and how stable are the companies and how long will they produce the materials.

Micheal Smith says Kodak will provide him with the remainder of Azo paper, then sells it to some unknown enitiy.
    JandC can't provide all of the products it lists all of the time.
    Amidol developer wasn't available for months this Summer/Fall.

There are no film camera stores with complete inventories. My one and only store in town has a one shelf "real" photo shelf, mostly enpty.

Some of our best current suppliers say not to horde,buy freezers etc.
    I see their point to a point.

However not one of them can supply me a box of Portriga Rapid, Azo 3, 127 Verichrome Pan, Ektalure. My freezer can.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    My favorite inkjet terms are:
    - giclee
    - archival ultrachrome
    - digital c print

I know there are several more but I'm a bit brain dead at the moment.

Why not just call them for what they are: inkjet prints

And again I scream out loud: support ilford
    It has been said before BUT ...

Giclée literally is the French for inkjet print, the term has become well accepted as shorthand for "digital print produced with high-quality materials which will offer good permanence, not with the cheapest inks and paper from your local office supplier which will fade if you look at them too hard"). This use of terminology is directly comparable to the phrase "silver gelatin print" beloved of art galleries - "bromide print" seems evocative of army tea, "chlorobromide" or "bromochloride" sounds like a nasty yukky chemical you put in your swimming pool, so "silver gelatin" it is (taking a calculated risk that you can afford to offend the odd few vegans who don't like the idea of cow bones boiling down to make the gelatin).

"Archival ultrachrome" has a simple origin - "Ultrachrome" is an Epson trade mark indicating archival ink technology.

As others have said, "digital C" is a digitally-BALANCED print onto wet-process materials (from either a digital or film source).

I trust this posting will be received in a mature and reflective way .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by severian
    Remember the quote
    "From this moment on painting is dead" said by.....I forget
    The discovery of photography did not kill painting. Digital will not kill film.
    Jack B

Only Photographers can kill film.

And we've done a right good job of it so far.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

If the French will not allow you to use a tripod, then shoot somewhere else. They do not have a corner on where quality images can be found. I was in Germany last summer and they embraced me and my tripod legs with open arms every place I went. Plus, while folks accept digital as commonplace, conventional view cameras still hold a place of esteem as "professional instruments".

Rather than lament the digital/film interface concentrate on expressing yourself with whatever medium you decide to use and just move on with it. If it is film, then buy a freezer, build a darkroom and get on with it. Film will be here for a long time for one basic reason. The movie industry still uses it and I think that it will be some time before that changes. The industry is simply reorganizing to a new set of operating parameters. J&C is doing a great job filling this void with diverse films in as many sizes as we could ask for. The film companies overseas had a period of down time with every intention to come back on line. What is the downside? I mix my own chemistry and if I needed to could coat my own paper. As long as I can shoot film I am good to go.

Life is good for all LF types. Get out and make some photographs and you will feel much better!

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Only Photographers can kill film.

And we've done a right good job of it so far.

Well said
    And fill me in on the Nova Scotia aspect sometime. I thought I was the only user of film out here.

Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm
    Living in Japan where the technology is almost everything in its moden mainstream culture, I find three remarkable things in the consumer market: karaoke, happoshu, and digital camera.

Karaoke is a cheap toy for those who can't play any instrument or sing in a band. It could be fun to play with it, but you can't be so serious about it. At least that what I felt when I was a teenager playing my guitar in a rock band.

Happoshu is a cheap product of beer with a reduced amount of what makes real beer to avoid the higher liquor tax. There's even a different kind fake beer that's made out of soy bean these days, and you can sort of imagine what it tastes like.

And digital cameras are somewhat in the same way. I mean there are useful real professional tools like digital 3CCD or HD camcorders, which come in small sizes and are better than old ones, but that's about all I can appreciate.

And inkjet is, I don't know. But it's very much the same as a fake beer; it looks, smells, and may taste the same in a first sip, but your stomack starts to go unsettled. Your body knows what it is that you're taking into your body and that's going to your soul.

My desktop computer is set up with a high-end digital scanner and a printer, but the outcome is no better than creating over-priced glossy posters. So I built my darkroom last year for my actual "prints", and I've been pretty happy having both systems up and running.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on
    It's hard not to think about it when so many are abandoning craft for so called "ease".

I just returned from a small local show. ALL inkjet, labeled on back as such, but what really got my goat was the one guy who labeled his b&w inkjets as..(sit down, hold on to the chair arms..) well, he labeled them as "piezoelectric".
    "piezoelectric"!? Well, I am really shocked!

Also, Ghengis and I will try our very best not to Horde - - but no promises!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin