Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,289   Online: 753

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on
    I just returned from a small local show. ALL inkjet, labeled on back as such, but what really got my goat was the one guy who labeled his b&w inkjets as..(sit down, hold on to the chair arms..) well, he labeled them as "piezoelectric". WTF is that supposed to mean?
    Piezoelectric refers to an effect where the application of force to a material, results in the material producing an electric field. The reverse effect can also occur - an application of an electric field causes the material to deform physically. I believe that strictly speaking, this is more properly referred to as electrostriction.

You may ask what has this got to do with prints? I have a vague recollection that some inkjets use the reverse piezoelectric effect to eject the ink on to the paper.

I did a quick google search and came up with the following link that discusses piezoelectric effects:

piezoelectric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Only Photographers can kill film.
    I worry some of the Tag-along bunch and
    their cut-the-throat-of-what-is-left interests.
    Where ever in the world they manufacture.

Like it or not Kodak is the US of A's last
    domestic source of silver gelatined emulsions.
    Many have a very good opinion of what product
    they do still produce.

Overall we will have to spend somewhat more OR
    ELSE we may end up with a whole lot less. I'm not
    going to chance it. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, much like the advertised 'Fux Pearls"

Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    It has been said before BUT ...

Giclée literally is the French for inkjet print, the term has become well accepted as shorthand for "digital print produced with high-quality materials which will offer good permanence, not with the cheapest inks and paper from your local office supplier which will fade if you look at them too hard")..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on
    It's hard not to think about it when so many are abandoning craft for so called "ease".
    It's not just ease -- it's basic availability of (what is rapidly becoming) obsolete technology.

Humans are inherently artistic creatures and they will use whatever they can to produce the art that reflects their vision of the human condition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin