Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,931   Online: 995

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Does Type 55 p/n require a uv filter?

Hi,

I've uploaded a scan of one of my first Type 55 negs. All of my shots outdoors with this camera and lens have blank skies like this? I wasn't shooting with a UV filter, does T55 require one?

Also notice if you can the dark areas between the masts of the ships. This is probably a result of my hanlding of the film in the sodium sulfite. I really had a hard time getting all the goop off of the film and eventually had do squeegee it off with my fingers. Is that likely what caused the dark areas between the masts?

Is type 55 not a good idea outside in bright sunlight?

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks, Derek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CabrilloMarina001.jpg  

Polaroid B&W film in general tends to be very UV sensitive. A UV filter or a light yellow filter will definitely help. Also, Polaroid 55 is pretty contrasty stuff. This translates to it having a fairly limited tonal range. You have to walk the line between loss of detail in high values or in the shadow areas. Lovely stuff, though. Takes practice.

As for the smudgy marks, it's pretty hard to tell from scanned image. Could be mishandling, could be roller or processing problems.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Derek,
    I always find the black glop comes off really quickly in the Sodium Sulphite solution. Are you sure it's mixed up correctly and at the right strength? for what it's worth I've never had problems washing type 55 in straight warm water, so long as you are careful and don't scratch the emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Derek,

I have been using Polaroid 55 for 15+ years with much success. I have found what works best for me is to place the negative first in a 30 sec. bath of water where I do a little rub on the negative to get the larger of the goop off, then a 30 sec. bath of 75 ml of Perma Wash mixed with three liters of water (the purple chemicals quickly disappear), and then a final 30 sec rinse of water. I do this all in two buckets.

The dark areas between the boat masts may be from bending the negative during the initial pull-through for the chemical pod spread. I would think if it is not a bend in the actual negative then it probably happened prior to the development process.

I have UV filters on all my lenses as protectors so I cannot really comment on your question regarding that filter in particular helping your sky since I shoot through one all of the time. Although I might try re-shooting with a polarizer, red, orange or yellow filter to darken up the sky and/or give the clouds more definition.

Do not give up on the film as I have found it to be a unique artistic tool, but one that does take a bit of practice to predict.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Markbb

I was wondering about my sodium sulfite solution also. I don't have the original container any longer, but I think it was 1 lb of Edwal Sodium Sulfite, and that it was supposed to be mixed with 2 litres of warm water. I believe I used either A. Adams descripiton for mixing the solution (from his book on Polaroid Land photography) or the description from the T55 tech sheet. I'll probably mix up a new batch before my next attempt.

On another note, I'll be coming to London in the second week of January (to work, but I'll take a couple of days off too). I haven't decided whether or not I'll lug my 4x5 camera with me. Is there anything you suggest I should go see and shoot while I'm there?

Derek

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Derek,
    by co-incidence, they may be a small gathering of LF/ULF photographers in a Church in the (City of)London mid January, Sunday around 12. Mail me direct for info.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin