Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,048   Online: 899

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Is Agfa really dead?

Whats the latest? Does Agfa really close down in less than a month?
    Jack B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to know too. It seems like it's impossible to purchase supplies, meaning they're not cranking out product. If they're looking for a buyer to rescue the operation, then they're digging their hole deeper every day.
    Places like Freestyle Photo can't even get deliveries for their 'Private Reserve' Agfa OEM paper.
    All indications point to them shutting down, but as far as I know that has not officially been confirmed.

Hope that adds to the confusion,

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There has been many reports that all buyout offers have not worked and that they are in fact going out of business, this has been pretty common knowledge for a while now.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In case the story my local photoshop salesman tells is right than they are not allowed to sell anything since they don't own their stock anymore, it's 'owned' by the people who still get money from agfa and in the time being a government employe judges what happens to the stock.
    And aren't most Agfa empleyees fired already? Such a shame...

Shooter
    35mm
    My understanding is that certain parts of Agfa Photo have been purchased, but mostly these are the parts that aren't of great interest to most in this group, like the division that handles service contracts on Agfa minilabs. One possible exception is that the chemistry division has been purchased (by the same company that bought up the minilab stuff), but it's not clear to me that they'll continue to produce Rodinal or other B&W chemistry. The announcement didn't mention specifics, but it sounded to me like they were interested in supplying existing minilabs. OTOH, perhaps they'll keep producing B&W chemistry; I just don't know.

Of course, it's always possible that somebody will buy up the remaining parts of Agfa that produce film and paper, but AFAIK that's not yet happened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't be at all suprised if the parts of agfa of interest to this group are bought up at some point soon and possible continued with. This is often the case. Potential buyers will be waiting for the price to be right.

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin