Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,891   Posts: 1,520,854   Online: 1207

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A couple of years ago I drove over to the bay area to pick up an EBAY treasure that was really too much bother to ship. It was a complete 8X10 C-1 outfit with all the original receipts including my Ries tripod which is the one piece I was after. Anyways there was a 500 sheet box of 8X10 Gevaert Contactone paper. Not Agfa / Gevaert, just Gevaert which meant it was pre-1964. A couple of months went by and I was going through the stuff and I almost threw that box out. Then I surmised "contactone" hmmm this stuff must be Chloride like AZO. So I tore a sheet in half, put half in Dektol and the other half in fix. After 4 minutes or so I fixed the Dektol portion and compared. No fog. AT ALL! Tore another sheet in half and stuck a 4X5 neg on it and flicked on the darkroom lights for about 3 1/2 minutes. Gorgeous print. So I'm happily using the last box of Gevaert Contactone on earth and loving it. It's warmer than AZO. It's a lovely paper and how I wish Agfa or somebody would revive it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

There is a good chance the paper is not fogged. I inherited some Ektalure and Medalist with expiration dates late 1960`s. It prints without fog.

Also got some Polycontrast F single wt that is fine.

Modern papers have chemicals in them so they need not be aged before sale if I can believe what I read on www.Defenderphoto. I must agree the latest papers from Kodak and Ilford have a short shelf life for whatever the reason. Ilford even hides the expiration date so the consumer can`t read it. They will furnish it if you call, but can you imagine calling from a store to get an expiration date? Note they don`t work weekends when you are at the store.

Cold storage will NOT improve the shelf life significantly for this type of paper.

E mail Ilford and express your dissatisfaction with hidden dates. Kodak already threw in the towel.

Shooter
    Large Format
    fhovie - I'm not sure that Azo is still kicking. I'm sure I read that Kodak sold off the last of it and even Michael & Paula can't get anymore, and have stopped selling what they have in stock. I might be wrong though...

Regards,
    Neil.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    M&P are still going to sell some of the remaining stock of grade 2 Azo, but not grade 3.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Paper

I have a stash of Kodabromide in several grades and finishes; it's from 1982 and prints fine. Also 15 year old Oriental and 11 boxes of Portiga but I can't date it.
    No problem with any printing...
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec
    I inherited some Ektalure and Medalist with expiration dates late 1960`s. It prints without fog.
    Like everyone else, I used a lot of medalist paper back in the 50s and 60s. I was not all that impressed, but it was reliable and serviceable. Ektalure came later. Ektalure was, IMO, an outstanding paper. It looked good right from the wash (if maybe a little green at times), and it toned beautifully. It was also available in a variety of surfaces, and you could use the surface that fit the mood of the print. It was also about the only fiber based paper I've seen more or less recently (it only went away 10-15 years ago) that dried flat. It dried perfectly. Does anyone know of anything like it today?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "... where there is a will, there is a dead person ... " or something like that. It appears there is a alternative to AZO that will be soon available from Michael and Paula that might even be b*e*t*t*e*r than AZO. I have faith! the digi-weenies will not take over the whole planet. Besides, I have not seen much digital printing of photographs show up as collectable fine art yet. Seems Silver Chloride is still king whrere the money is in art.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Miller
    fhovie - I'm not sure that Azo is still kicking. I'm sure I read that Kodak sold off the last of it and even Michael & Paula can't get anymore, and have stopped selling what they have in stock. I might be wrong though...

Regards,
    Neil.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin