Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,344   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Truly "traditional" photographic paper - including AZO

Here is an an e-bay auction for the traditionalists here:

Paper from the 1960s

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    you gotta think this stuff might be good for a display but not for actual use in the darkroom. I would think this stuff is fogged beyond all hope. I did not think it was too great a paper in 1966 either.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    ... I did not think it was too great a paper in 1966 either.
    lee\c
    Dang, Lee, I grew up printing on Medalist ...

David
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a print on Medalist from Claire Senft from one of the print exchanges. Seems like good stuff if you've got an affinity for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone for Opal? Platino? Velour Black? I used to like Opal. Recently I have seen some old prints made on it, and the newer materials are really better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For what it's worth,
    There was nothing wrong with Medalist papers, it printed very well, I did not like the color/tone of the finished print when developed in Dektol. The finished print had a somewhat warm brown black tone rather than cold black.
    Dupont Velour Black was my favorite simply because of the finished tone cold black. I would estimate I used well over 25000 sheets of 8x10 Medalist f2 and f3, and 45 to 50000 sheets of Dupont in 2 & 3 grade. I also used a lot of Agfa and Gavaert paper and films. Though warmer than Dupont they all printed beautifully.

I wouldent be interested in any of the paper this guys has to sell, as Lee said I'll bet they near worthless for printing purposes.

I usually purchased in 500 to 1000 sheets packed in 250 sheet boxes of the same batch/emulsion numbers, so once I was zeroed in on it and managed to controll negative exposure and development I was set for some time.

Again, my opinion based on a whole lot of years printing with the above papers. Charlie.............

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Is medalist paper a contact paper, and anything like AZO?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Z.
    Is medalist paper a contact paper, and anything like AZO?
    Medalist was a neutral-to-warm chlorobromide enlarging paper. I personally loved it, as it seemed to be fairly silver-rich, and had good exposure and development latitude. AZO is a straight silver chloride, contact printing paper. Anyway, they're both relics of the past now. And some current papers outperform the old ones in some ways. It was/ is a matter of taste.
    Robert Hunt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhphoto
    Medalist was a neutral-to-warm chlorobromide enlarging paper. I personally loved it, as it seemed to be fairly silver-rich, and had good exposure and development latitude. AZO is a straight silver chloride, contact printing paper. Anyway, they're both relics of the past now. And some current papers outperform the old ones in some ways. It was/ is a matter of taste.
    Some would say everything here (APUG) is "relics of the past" certainly AZO is still kicking. I read an interesting article in View Camera - it appears sales of 8x10 cameras is quite good these days. I haven't seen any drop in prices on e-bay. I think the test of relic vs relevent is to see if the process is generally considered desirable for art. AZO is a premium for that. Holga and pinhole are. ALT Processes are alive and well. ULF and LF are in the highest regard for artists in this group. ..... Now I do have this old 1 Megapixel camera ... It is a relic, heck - It has to be 4 years old!
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    Some would say everything here (APUG) is "relics of the past" certainly AZO is still kicking. I read an interesting article in View Camera - it appears sales of 8x10 cameras is quite good these days. I haven't seen any drop in prices on e-bay. I think the test of relic vs relevent is to see if the process is generally considered desirable for art. AZO is a premium for that. Holga and pinhole are. ALT Processes are alive and well. ULF and LF are in the highest regard for artists in this group. ..... Now I do have this old 1 Megapixel camera ... It is a relic, heck - It has to be 4 years old!
    All I meant is that you can't get Medalist, almost can't get Azo now. Sure, it would be great to find some Velour Black and play with it. How about Dassonville Black? They're all gone. We'll all look back on the good old days when we could get Oriental Seagull. Paper manufacturers come and go. Photographers survive the changes -- it's not the materials that count, it's the vision and skill of the artist.
    Robert Hunt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin