Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,016   Online: 1186

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Reclaiming outdated film: good news.

A few years ago, I took possession of a LOT of out of date 8x10 film: mainly Royal Pan, and some Plus X. I'll leave out the long-but-interesting story of how this came to be, but the film lived out it's offical life in a film cooler, and then became mine.

And it went straight to my freezer. Life being what it is, I haven't had a chance to get at it for... a long time. I set out the oldest box last night, and today made an exposure to a calibrated step wedge and dropped it into the HC110 tank, my developer of convenience.

No fog, and a reasonable EI of 200 for Royal Pan. Amazing.

I expect the film won't like being out of the cold for long... but that is just a feeling.

I'll try a couple different developers tomorrow.

Moral: out date film can be bad or good, give it a try.

NB The bump at Zone IV is a an accurate representation of the step wedge, a bit lower than ideal.
    Last edited by df cardwell; 12-04-2005 at 07:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great!

There's hope, then, for my one dozen Perutz Peromnia 13x18cm glass plates
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Worst I've encountered with well stored old film is a little fog.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Congratulations! I'm glad it worked out for you. I hate to see film go to waste. Now go into the field and make proper use of your treasure.

Jay

Yes Sir !

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used kodak pack film that had expired in '72 with excellent results..
    Unfortunately a full 250sht. box of 11x14 Kodabrome didn't fare as well (I think it was stored in fluctuating temperatures... hot and cold, for about 12 years..)

Glad it worked for you!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin