Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,636   Online: 694

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Selenium-Sepia Toning

I've been balancing my prints for a mixture of tungsten and daylight. Without the warmth of the tungsten light, they feel stark, or cold...

This got me to thinking, why not put the warmth in permanently? I've never seen a selenium-sepia toned print in real life, only on the web, but it hints as being something to investigate.

Anybody have some links handy to sites that explain the process?

Thanks.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Anybody have some links handy to sites that explain the process?
    I do it all the time Murray. Not trying to hide my secret, but gotta run. I'll join in later and maybe give you a PM. I'm sure others will beat me to it.

Bill

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Murray

I do a lot of bleach sepia-selenium toning. I find it works best with colder tone papers*to my eye*.
    I think for fibre base this combination is the most complex but permanent method of toning as it takes care of the highlights and the shawdows.

the sepia is most pronounced in the highlight and the selenium attaches to the shawdows.

By complex I mean more steps . my steps are as follows

dev. - stop. - fix 1 -. fix 2.- clear wash for 5-10 min- hypo clear 5 min- wash 20 minutes.- sepia bleach a 10secs to 60 secs depending on colour I want- wash till all bleach is off print - sepia toner till completion usually 1min- 30 minute wash- squeege - dry.

once you have your method , you will like the look

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you might check into Tim Rudman's book on toning.

There are a variety of factors that will influence "the look", paper, developer type, fixers , bleach strength, time in the bleach, strength of activator of the sepia toner, length of time in each and then the strength of the selenium and time in that selenium.
    As well as which brand or formula of sepia.

For that reason, it really is helpful for you to just make a batch of prints, overprint several, at different degrees and just start practicing. Use just one brand or formula of sepia . There are already a lot of variables so keep things as simple as possible.

Keep good notes on which print has which times, etc.
    Bob's suggestions are certainly a starting point.

When it comes to split toning, or toning for color shifts, the world is yours to command. Have fun, keep good records so you can repeat a process. Nothing is worst than finding something that you love and you can't remember what it was that created this effect.

That is my .02 cents worth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a selenium/sepia split tone on quite a few of my prints. FWIW my process is: dev,stop,fix (TF4) 10 min wash, bleach till highlights show the desired effect, 3 min wash, sepia tone 1 min, 5 min wash, selenium tone until shadows reach desired density or tonal shift, 5 min wash, 5 min Heico Perma-wash, 15 min wash.

The effect of the sepia toner is determined by the amount of time spent in the bleach so if you bleach too heavily, the sepia toner will "overtake" the image and leave nothing for the selenium to work on. Conversely, if you choose to do the selenium toning first, don't leave it in long enough for the highlights to become changed or the sepia bleach will have no effect. With the bleaching and selenium toning phases, length of time means little so use your eye as a judge. The sepia bleach acts extremely quick once it takes effect so you may want to dilute it quite a bit in order to give yourself some leeway. Also, I almost always make more than one straight print since I often find that the toning results aren't what I desire and I need to alter the time spent in one of the baths. Its a lot easier when you have multiple prints at your disposal to work with. Good luck. I think the sepia/selenium split provides stunning tonality and impact when you get what you are looking for. Its well worth the extra time and effort. You may very well find that the untoned versions pale in comparison.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Kodak Sepia II as opposed to their regular sepia tone which is muddy and leaves to much warmth in the borders of the paper IMO. I would also emphasize the diluted bleach that others have mentioned. It can be pretty hot straight. I go 1:10 from the stock solution. It takes a little longer, but your tone will be more controllable. I also keep the bleach tray up out of the sink on the back of another tray turned upside down. I warm the bleach bath to a temp of about 72 degrees and raising it out of the wash water keeps it warm. I also will go back into the bleach and tone after thoroughly rinsing if I feel it needs more depth. This effectively helps you "build-up" your tone to the place you want. After this and another thorough wash, I will go with the selenium to my taste. As was said before, it will attach more to the darker values. Pushing either or both part of the process can lead to some pretty dramatic and evocative effects.

Have fun!

Bill

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Murray

I just realized that I did not add in the selenium side which I do after the sepia for reasons mentioned above.
    Anns point about dilutions or strenghs of chemistry is the most important factor along with time in each chemical.

To keep your sanity try this.

8x10 paper cut in half and make lets say 20 identical exposures and develop to a print just slightly darker and flatter than you normally like.
    Dry them all and then spend the next day pencil the back of each print the dilutions time ect. Put on Led Zepplin How the West was Won and do the tests.
    As Bill points out the new Kodak Sepia Bleach is way to hot to control , I have decided to go to mixing my own in the future for consistency.

Try this with a couple of papers, cold and warm:
    and amongst all the computations you will find a look that you like and on the back of the print your notes will be there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to this, as any and all advice is much appreciated

After wallowing around on the web checking out photographers sites for examples of their work, Bill wins the "Consistency Award"...my ears will perk up to any words of wisdom he has to offer.

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    D'oh...I didn't check out the personal galleries of those that responded. Daniel's "Brooklyn Bridge at Night" has what I think I'm heading for.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does any one have a good recipe for making sepia toner? For bleach i can use Ferri or farmers reducers, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin