Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,654   Online: 784

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    Alex,

What developer did you use on the Kentmere Bromide? I would like to try that.

Thanks,

John Powers
    John,
    I used both Agfa Neutol WA and Don Miller's PPPD with 15 grams of catechtol, no pyrogallol. The description for PPPD is here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6952-pyro-paper-developer.html
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Alex,

The most recent formulation is listed in this thread.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...per+developers

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    What dilution and what time and temp were used on the toning ? Were each of the papers tested for the time that delivered the maximum dmax for that particular paper?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Somehow I can always pick my Azo prints out of the pack. Hard to quantify it but its something to do with the way the midtones jump out at you.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I though Dmax had to do with only blacks. This doesn't tell us anything about how the final print looks, other then the depth of these blacks. So to try and compare the LOOK of a paper by this measurement is not useful. There are goods reason to know the Dmax, just not comparing the final print.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you Donald and Alex

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlibersky
    I though Dmax had to do with only blacks. This doesn't tell us anything about how the final print looks, other then the depth of these blacks. So to try and compare the LOOK of a paper by this measurement is not useful. There are goods reason to know the Dmax, just not comparing the final print.
    That is what I was trying to say earlier, but you have said it better.

Could someone who knows comment on the relative differences of these blacks? I don't have a densinometer, so I'm curious, are we splitting hairs here, or are some significant visual appearances being discussed?

Of course "significant" in this case is subjective, but I'm sure someone could comment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Reviewing the thread, I see Alex already asked my question, and Donald answered. Thanks guys.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Kentmere Bromide and AZO curves

Here is a comparison between the Kentmere Bromide and new AZO grade 2, both developed in Neutol WA. There seems to be a large difference in how both papers respond to exposure. Neither paper has had selenium toning at this point of testing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KentmereBromide.gif   New-AZO-grade-2.gif  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman
    Here is a comparison between the Kentmere Bromide and new AZO grade 2, both developed in Neutol WA. There seems to be a large difference in how both papers respond to exposure. Neither paper has had selenium toning at this point of testing.
    Fascinating.

Now, here is an interesting experiment for you.

Read them both again but using transmission densitometry. Please post the results, and I will be glad to explain anything 'unusual' that you see in this new plot.

Oh. I would also suggest that you redo the original pair but with a 50 second, 5 second and 0.5 second exposure using a neutral density set to 'normalize' the positions on the charts as much as possible. You may see something 'unusual' in this as well.

PE

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin