Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,829   Online: 971

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Xtol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    I am realy surprised this actually works (taking portions of the dry chemicals and mix them, that is). People have been warning against this practice since the powders are not just one pure chemical, but more chemicals mixed together. Mixed chemicals have the tendecy to "settle out", that is (if I am not mistaken) the smaller size particles go slowly to the bottom, the bigger size size stay on top. Ofcourse you can mix the content of the bag, but that is not verry efficient.

OTOH the previous posts do not report any problems, I will stick to mixing the whole batch with water and store it properly.
    Hm, well I've yet to have any inconsistencies in my negatives that I could attribute to the chemistry, I'll continue to keep an eye on it.
    Though this is only what I'm doing while I have limited storage too, can't shell out for extra accordions right now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    Has anyone mixed the 5 litre Xtol packet as per instructions and then bottle the 5 litres in many smaller bottle with no air?

If so how has it stored and what shelf life have you achieved?

Does it still suffer from the sudden unexpected Xtol death syndrome?
    I'm using 40oz brown beer bottles with a screwcap, of which my local corner store has an indefinite supply. Costs me only the price of the recycling charge, which is pretty cheap. I mix everything in a clean bucket using distilled water, and fill the bottles to the brim. Never had any problem, but I also use most of the XTOL in a 6 month period. Also, I use 1+1, and always dilute just prior to developing my film, and then discard the used solution.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought a packet of XTOL but won't be mixing it up until I get some exposed film shot. A friend of mine just gave me a 1.75L stainless steel bottle that Kru 82 brand vodka came in. It looks exactly like a larger version of the smaller steel water bottles that are so fashionable right now, and the cap even has a nice airtight rubber seal. I thought it would be perfect, but now I'm wondering if the stainless steel would be non-reactive enough with the chemistry. I certainly wouldn't want it to affect the developer over its storage time in the bottle.

Has anyone else here used stainless steel bottles for storing photographic chemicals, especially XTOL?
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not recommend storing Xtol in steel or metal containers that are unlined with plastic. Xtol is an ascorbic acid developer and will react with metals on some level. Plastic soda/seltzer 1Liter jugs are easy enough to come by and are well sealed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree about the steel containers for storage.

A few years back I had all sorts of problems when mixing XTOL, because of all of the metal containers etc I was using. Once I switched everything over to plastic and moved to another country all of my problems went away. Well, at least my problems with XTOL.

I really do believe there is something to the theory that XTOL and metals don't play nicely.

I still used a steel developing tank and reels, but that does not seem to be a problem, maybe due to the short amount of time everything is in contact.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin