Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,175   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xtol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Xtol

Has anyone mixed the 5 litre Xtol packet as per instructions and then bottle the 5 litres in many smaller bottle with no air?

If so how has it stored and what shelf life have you achieved?

Does it still suffer from the sudden unexpected Xtol death syndrome?
    Steve

Gim

I bottle the stock in 22oz beer bottles and smaller booze bottles and have used it for a year with no problems.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chiller
    Has anyone mixed the 5 litre Xtol packet as per instructions and then bottle the 5 litres in many smaller bottle with no air?

Does it still suffer from the sudden unexpected Xtol death syndrome?
    I do exactly that with five 1 liter glass bottles and it lasts for over a year. How much longer I don't know, since I toss any left over at the one year mark.

AFAIK, the sudden death syndrome was related to the now-discontinued 1 liter packages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do it all the time. I use 5 x 1L plastic soda pop bottles. Four are filled to the very brim with only a very small bubble of air left inside. After that there is not enough to completely fill the fifth bottle, so I top that off with some gas to displace the air from the bottle and use that one first. I've just finished a batch that I mixed up at the end of June '05 on two rolls of very outdated TMX 135-36 and it worked as expected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Steve

I do it exatly as you describe it but in adition its also in a dark cool room and it holds easy up to a year and a half. But it has to be in glass bottles totaly fill up and not more then 15° celcius!
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArs
    Hi Steve

I do it exatly as you describe it but in adition its also in a dark cool room and it holds easy up to a year and a half. But it has to be in glass bottles totaly fill up and not more then 15° celcius!

Thanks guys for the excellent conformation.

Steve
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chiller
    I have stored it in 500 ml (appox. 600ml when filled to the top) plastic cell culture media bottles. No problems with shelf life. Worked perfectly after 13 months in ambient temp (24 C).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I store my stock XTOL solution in 750ml wine bottles. I use the VacuVin stopper system - a rubber stopper and a hand vacuum pump that lets you pull the air out of the wine bottle. Works quite well.

I've never had XTOL go bad. The longest I've had stock solution in the bottles is about eight months. When I run out, I make another batch.

Part of why I like this method is that I use 250ml of stock at a time, diluting it 1:3 to make 1 liter of working solution. Bottles in multiples of 250ml therefore work nicely for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've also put XTOL in 1-liter bottles. The longest I've stored it to date is a bit over 6 months. You might be interested in reading this page on developer (including XTOL and various others) storage:

http://www.udmercy.edu/crna/agm/phenvitc.htm

As to XTOL sudden death, I've seen claims that the problem has persisted beyond the elimination of the 1-liter packaging, but AFAIK nobody in the general public has hard data on this topic. Everything I've seen is anecdotal reports and hearsay. The problem is rare enough that it's hard to pin down based on such scant information, and IMHO it's not 100% safe to assume that any given bottle of XTOL will work. OTOH, given the rarity of the problem, any given bottle of XTOL is likely to be fine, at least assuming it's not ridiculously old. Still, before entrusting important film, I'd recommend doing a snip test, or better yet, developing a less important roll of film using developer from the same bottle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure you guys all know this, but Kodak claims the problem was mostly (entirely) related to using XTOL in 1:2 and 1:3 dilutions, which is why they no longer provide development times for any dilutions over 1:1.

I've really just started using XTOL, so I don't have any storage experiences to share...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin