Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,547   Posts: 1,573,019   Online: 869

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser
    It would seem that the scope for the feathery white foliage at this time of year and in cityscapes would be limited. SFX is somewhat limited anyway compared to Kodak, Maco or Konica in this respect. Ilford won't give you the halo effect which is often attractive in cityscapes as Kodak will. Kodak doesn't have an anti-halation backing which is why you get this effect.

If you are interested mainly in the black sky/white clouds IR effect then in my experience ordinary B&W film will give you this if you use a red filter and a polariser combined. If the buildings are sunlight and are light stone coloured they too will almost shine with this filter combination.

However bear in mind that this reduces light considerably and handheld shots with ISO100 film even in sunshine conditions could result in low shutter speeds which get close to the area where camera shake interferes.

Best of luck

Pentaxuser
    I don't think I've ever seen the IR effect outside of IR film. Can you post any examples of the ordinary b/w film shot with a red filter and a polarizer that looks similar to IR?

And you can get the halo effect with Ilford, Maco and Konica (I often struggled with Konica though). You must use an opaque filter to get the effect with them. This, when combined with the appropriate filter factor, will have you using a tripod and cable release.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read this thread with interest, as I would like to try this film. Then when I went to read up on it over on Ilford's site it says SFX200 is discontinued. Is SFX 200 the same film as being discussed here?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It sure is Andy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used a standard Hoya R25a red filter with a roll of SFX last year, admittedly on a very bright day in May, but got very good effect with it. Obviously not as good as with true infrared film or with a darker filter, but you can get some nights photos with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I read this thread with interest, as I would like to try this film. Then when I went to read up on it over on Ilford's site it says SFX200 is discontinued. Is SFX 200 the same film as being discussed here?
    Andy, if you are lucky Robert White might still have some SFX 200 in 120 left (see here). I have heard rumors (here in APUG) that the 35mm version will be produced in special batches once a year: the 120 version will be gone for good. Simon may confirm on this.

Regards,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin