Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,945   Online: 898

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Sandy,

I use a little more alcohol then you do by your description...I have found raising the temp of the solution with a 5-8 second zap in a microwave helps greately in getting the phenidone into solution.
    When I mixed up my first batch in glycol last year, I had just picked up a stirrer hotplate on eBay. You can get them in decent shape fairly cheaply and it makes heating and mixing loads easier. Highly recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with DeanC... A magnetic stir heater is about the handiest darkroom device one can own, they're cheap (used), they don't cavitate air into your chemistry and they free you from manual stir duties while maintaining a proper temperature. I was due for a new batch of PyroCat-HD today and decided to mix the PG version after reading the discussion in here. I put it on about 70°C, placed the catechol and phenidone in while I was doing some other darkroom chores, and it easily went into suspension without overheating the mixture. I would encourage anyone who does much chemical mixing to purchase one (don't forget some teflon coated stir magnets!).
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    I know that there area a number of long-time Pyrocat-HD users on this forum. For those interested I would like to send you a 100ml bottle of the modified Stock A, which I will call for the moment Pyrocat2, for your evaluation. You can use your regular Stock B solution with this formula. I am primarily interested in personal feedback on results, but anyone who tests the variation should feel free to express their opinion here or elsewhere about it.

Sandy.
    BTW, I now have as many volunteers as are needed to test the new variation. Thanks to everyone who contacted me. The samples will be mailed in approximately 2-3 weeks.

Best,

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy, just a general question on Pyrocat-HD. If there an emulsion (film) that Pyrocat-HD can't be used with or not recommended to be used with?

Curt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I can not give you a complete answer to the question because so much depends on format and personal likes. There are some combinations that I personally would not recommend for Pyrocat-HD because of grain size, such as TRI-X and HP5+ in 35mm size. However, there are some people who like a lot of grain in their prints, Rodianl devotees for example, and those persons might like the look. Also, certain films, BPF for example, tend to develop a lot of B+F with the very long development times we sometimes need for alterntive printing. However, so far as I know there is no film that is absolutely incompatible with Pyrocat.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Sandy, just a general question on Pyrocat-HD. If there an emulsion (film) that Pyrocat-HD can't be used with or not recommended to be used with?

Curt
    Last edited by sanking; 02-21-2006 at 02:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    BTW, I now have as many volunteers as are needed to test the new variation. Thanks to everyone who contacted me. The samples will be mailed in approximately 2-3 weeks.

Best,

Sandy
    Sandy
    I had sent you a PM about getting a test quantity of this. Im not sure if Im one of the above "volunteers" but wanted to say that if I am there may be some better suited, experienced, and knowledgeable people to include than myself. Keep that in mind if so. Am looking forward to what people have to say about this new variation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Sandy,

I currently use Rodinal, for about 30 years, and HC-110, off and on for about the same. I bought some Pyrocat-HD from formulary and if it is what I think it is, I might be using it exclusively. I am getting to the point that if I like it I will start making my own. I like to use a 25 ASA/ISO in 120 roll film and in 4x 5x 8x I have a lot of 400. I know it should be great with sheet film, it's the roll film that I wonder about. I may start using Rollei 25 for all of my 120 mf.

I have not mixed it up yet but four rolls from now I am going for it.

Thanks for the help,

Curt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Pyrocat+120 Film

Curt-I've used pyrocat-hd on lots of rollfilm with a mechanized rollerbase. It works great. If you do it this way reduce development time by about 20%
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I developed three rolls of film with Pyrocat-HD, from formulary, and WOW what nice looking negatives. I haven't run the numbers but making my own should be less expensive right? And of course I will have control in the mixing. Should I start with the Alcohol version right off the bat or make the original formula? Thank you Sandy for the great developer.

Curt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Curt,

Pleased to hear of your good results.

The alcohol version is simply a method for getting phenidone into solution faster than if mixing with water. This method was included in the original instructions for mixing Pyrocat-HD so it should be considered part and parcel to the original formula.

And allow me to clarify. There will be no major changes to the Pyrocat-HD formula. The new version that I mentioned at the start of this thread will have a new name, since it involves a major variation in terms of reducer . Not sure yet what I will call it, but it will not be Pyrocat-HD.

Best,

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    I developed three rolls of film with Pyrocat-HD, from formulary, and WOW what nice looking negatives. I haven't run the numbers but making my own should be less expensive right? And of course I will have control in the mixing. Should I start with the Alcohol version right off the bat or make the original formula? Thank you Sandy for the great developer.

Curt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin