Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,392   Online: 1051

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Super concentrated Pyrocat HD

Has anyone tried making up a more concentrated solution of Part A.

The reason for asking is I make up Pyrocat in the UkK on each trip home & fly back with it. In the past I've flown with both parts made up, then more recently just Part A and the Carbonate for Part B, 2 litres of Pyrocat (both parts) is just over 10% of my luggage allowance when flying, so quite significant.

I can buy Potassium Carbonate in Turkey so that cuts the weight, but I want to cut the weight further.

In the past I've not used Glycol but found my Pyrocat lasts up to 18months anyway stored properly.

This time I've used Digol (Diethylene Glycol) and could probably have dissolve the chemicals for 1 litre of stock solution in 250ml, but in the end used 300ml Digol & 200ml water to make up 500ml of double strength as I had an old Rodinal bottle handy. I don't intend to use it at this strength rather make it up the normal concentration when I need it.

This cuts the weight I fly with to around 25%, assuming I buy the Potassium Carbonate later.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I once mixed it 2X or 4X strength in water and all of the chemicals went into solution easily. Probably would in diethylene glycol as well but can not state that for sure.

BTW, if you plan to mix in diethylene glycol I advise substituting 4.0 g of ascorbic acid for the metabisulfite, and just leave out the bromide.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Has anyone tried making up a more concentrated solution of Part A.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    BTW, if you plan to mix in diethylene glycol I advise substituting 4.0 g of ascorbic acid for the metabisulfite, and just leave out the bromide.
    All but the Metabisulphite dissolved easily in the Diethylene Glycol, next time I'm back in the UK I'll try using Ascorbic Acid instead. Thanks Sandy.

Ian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin