Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,516   Online: 814

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Efke film developers

Does anyone know anything at all about the following Efke film developers for which times are listed at Digitaltruth:Efke FR-14; Efke FR-16; Efke FR-3; Efke FR-E24? FR-E24 appears to have a speed enhancing effect.

All help much appreciated

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FR-2 is the same as the Adox MQ Borax
    FR-5 Metol 6g; sodium sulfite 95g; borax 5.5g
    FR-7 Metol 2g; sodium sulfite 100g; hydroquinone 5g; borax 3g
    Sodium sulfite is the anhydrous, all solutions made up to 1 liter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I remember, but could be wrong. I didn't use EFKE developers for some time now...:

FR16 is liquid universal developer (for film and paper), I have now about one third of bottle of concetrate. Working solution mix is 1:4 for paper and 1:9 for film (or vice versa, don't know till see at manual), and develop 10 roll films or 1,5 m2 of FB paper. I used it only for develping paper and only contact sheets. Cheap (liter of concentrate is about 6 EURO in my town), fast to mix, and can stay good in working solution long. But as I say I used it only for contact sheets.

FR3 is "fine grain" powder developer. I used it with Ilford delta 100 and I was happy with it. It can stay good over 6 months as working solution. I didn't diluted it ever, only used it in working solution mix. Devop 10 roll films in 1 liter of working solution. Some people here say it is D76/ID11 developer, but I don't have any "official" confirmation about that.

I hope I didn't mix informations in my head...

Others I don't know...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Practically none of those mentioned are made any more.

The only ones left are FR-4 (powder developer), and FR-16 (liquid concentrate developer, best used for paper).

FR-5 was very similar to D-76 (from what I remember of the formula), but the real gem was FR-E24. I think I still have a pack stashed somewhere

All long gone now.

Luckily, they still make liquid (paper) developer and fixer, so I'm not worried about my (paper) needs. I also use FF-1 (liquid fixer) for all my negatives, except for T-Max films... I was told those work much better with TMax fixers - and I can confirm that

Regards,

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone have any idea what the chemical composition of FR-E24 is? I am quite prepared to mix my own.

All help much appreciated,
    Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young
    Does anyone have any idea what the chemical composition of FR-E24 is? I am quite prepared to mix my own.

All help much appreciated,
    Lachlan
    I can't help you with that, except that I heard it was based on "Griesbach developer" (?).

Anyway, it was excellent back when nothing else could be purchased in these parts of the world. Later I used Microphen...

Nowadays you'd do better with Xtol, I guess

Denis

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot nothing but Efke 25 and 100 for the past 3 or 4 years. It took a lot of getting used to and a lot of testing. Whatever you do, don't use D-76 Horrible results. I hear most people using Rodinal but I have been using Ilfotec-ddx at 1:7 for 14-16 minutes at 68 degrees depending on if I push it slightly. One thing not to do with Efke films is go overboard and overdevelop. I say this but then I think back to my first few rolls. They came out waaay underexposed based on the times I got from digitaltruth. I had to do my own testing. I emailed them my results but they still have some ridiculously short times for Efke in my experience. Again, I use 14 min, 68 degrees, 1:7. The chemistry in Ilfotec is the right stuff to react with the Efke. No pre-wetting the film either. Gives a bad reaction and loses some silver there.

Here's a zoom in at the grain on a piece of one of my negatives showing the latitude, film grain, detail, and typical dust and scratches I get.:

Last edited by vyoufinder; 02-16-2011 at 07:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rodinal 1+50 - 1+100 or Beutler A+B 1+1+10 or Neofin Blue is the way to go for Efke 25 films.

You can have great results with these combinations.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin