Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,968   Online: 815

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have photographs on Efke 50 with a yellow filter.
    The sky and clouds I would describe as smooth and mellow. Quite pleasant but not the film for dramatic skies.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Images
    I have used Efke 50 120 almost exclusively in the studio where I have complete control over the the lighting ratios. I love it for its tone, grain and remarkably good reciprocity characteristics with long exposures. I have just scratched the surface of using Efke 50 in 35mm for general outdoor scenes, playing around with a few rolls that I added to a JandC order to qualify for free shipping.
    I haven't critically compared grain but I feel that the first roll was a bit over developed so it probably wasn't a good indicator of the grain that it is capable of.
    What I was very impressed with was the tonal range which was more docile than Pan F+. At it's full rated speed, the shadow detail was better and it had less tendency to block up the highlights even though I was shooting contrasty scenes and, as I said, was a bit long with my development.
    I have a lot more experimenting to do but I am encouraged by what I've seen. I shot a couple of rolls yesterday, mainly sunny snow scenes and I have a couple of bodies currently loaded with it.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I should comment a little on my thoughts on efke 50... It is a great film for many things but if you are going to do landscape/tripod it didn't make sense for me to use it.
    art is about managing compromise

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    I should comment a little on my thoughts on efke 50... It is a great film for many things but if you are going to do landscape/tripod it didn't make sense for me to use it.
    Is that because it will tend to lighten the sky?
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just that the 25 is better (for this purpose)
    One of these days I will get a scanner....
    art is about managing compromise

Images
    I get your point. 100 is a nice walking around film, 25 is great for a tripod. 50 is kind of a neither here nor there film.
    Still, it shoots at 125th @ f/11 on a sunny day so, if it is noticably smoother than 100 or has a unique look, it's got a place in the camera bag.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    50 is kind of a neither here nor there film.
    Maybe so, but I love it for portraits. The orthopanchromatic response makes for lovely skin tones, far nicer in my opinion than R100. I've never shot portraits with R25 or PL25.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 12-26-2008 at 05:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Let us remember that Ansel Adams made Moon and Half Dome on this film
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin