Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,392   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TMY at 1600?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

TMY at 1600?

I just shot a roll of night fog shots on TMY. I have Rodinal, D76, and Diafine developers. Can anyone give me times for development in any of those chemicals? I'd really like to use Rodinal if I could. Checked the Massive Dev Chart, too, just so you know. Nothing on TMax 400 at 1600 for Rodinal.

Edit: I just saw that the time for Rodinal 1:80 was 16 minutes for ISO 400. Would 32 minutes be a good starting point for ISO 1600? I know that I'm most likely going to get some *large* grain with this...I want to see how it affects the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Went 32 minutes. Could have used a bit more. I think that the next time I do this I'm going with 36 minutes. I went with Rodinal 1:100 and three inversions every other minute. I'll post the results I got when the negatives dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would really like to see the results Stephanie - very interesting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To estimate a good development time for a situation like this, it's important to know the character of the scene: low light but low contrast, low light and high contrast, that sort of thing. Importance of shadow detail vs highlight, etc.

I'd have guessed the time you used would have been good for holding important highights.

The nature of Rodinal is to be about a stop slower at the deepest shadows than D-76 1+1. "Pushing" in Rodinal will always make the deepest shadows empty, which may or may not be good. D-76 1+1 will give you a stop more shadow speed. XTOL, even more.

When I want to simplify a composition, by increasing the contrast of the midtones against the shadows, I go with Rodinal. If the shadows are important to the story, Xtol or D-76 1+1.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know you don't have it on hand, but my best results for TMYat EI 1600 have been with XTOL 1+3 for between 19 and 20 minutes at 68 deg. F. XTOL gives slightly better shadow detail than D-76 and Diafine isn't good for much of a push with this film. Rodinal is best used with slow and medium speed films and is not a very good developer for push processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another good choice would have been Microphen. I've seen surprisingly good results from this from one of the photo.net B&W film moderators, Lex Jenkins. You can do a search for him there.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps someone remembers this discussion - I can't find the link to the thread - but there was some excellent examples of how far you can push with Rodinal in a Rangefinder Forums thread. Granted, the film was TriX - probably the most flexible medium out there - but overall results of these pushes were a revelation. And I am talking about 12800 for example. It would seem that with the semi-stand method that you are thinking of using, you should be able to get surprising results!
    Hopefully someone can remember the discussion or perhaps was involved in it - it seems that the gentleman who did these experiments may be a good resource for people wanting to push with Rodinal. I just wish I could have been more help with specifics,

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephanie frequents RFF quite a bit, so I'm sure she knows it. However, the link is:

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4441

Rodinal with decreased agitation can really get you places with TXT in particular. Of course, the question is again the lighting situation. Merciful's does not _look_ like a particularly contrasty shot. I might be wrong, I'm just saying what it looks like.

I've taken TXT out to 3200 in what I would call contrasty situations - walking around the street at night - with reduced agitation and am impressed with the results.

Stephanie's thread on RFF is at:

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=19456

She has a link to the resulting photo. This is my _personal_ opinion (she and others are happy with it), but I think the very high contrast scene and absolute absence of significant shadow detail just aren't to my taste. I would personally not use this combination.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    THe next shots will be done on TXT. I was just curious as to how this would work so I did it.

To tell you the truth, I think I didn't quite get it developed long enough. I was guessing. There ARE no times for TMY in Rodinal 1:100 on the Massive Dev Chart and I could find nothing in a Google search to give me much more of a clue. I took the 16 minutes for 1:80 that the MDC had and doubled it...I think I should have doubled and added four or so more minutes. This is just my hypothesis, though.

I may take two cameras out and do both TMY and TXT in the same conditions tonight. It may shed some light on whether or not I got quite the right times.

So that you can all see the photo without going to RFF, I've attached it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fog105.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More development would not have give more shadow density. That's what Rodinal does: raises the midtones and highlights, but not the shadows.

TMY is MEASUREABLY better for this than Tri X.

D-76 1+1 is better than Rodinal, at any dilution, for a two stop push.

XTOL 1+1 is better than D-76 for a push, OR MICROPHEN OR ANYTHING ELSE.

This is a really simple thing to do with contemporary materials.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin