Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,943   Online: 1093

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FB papers _without_ toning

Hi all,
    So I'm doing so contact printing of some 5x7s I took this weekend. I'm doing this in an uncontrolled, public darkroom in a temporary trailer that is chaotic this time of year. As such, toning will not be practical.

I have only ever printed on Ilford MG, but I wouldn't mind trying something different. I do not think a warm print would be appropriate for these images (more because I haven't tried warm printing enough to know when to use it).

I know that my local shop (Keeble and Shuchat in Palo Alto, CA, if anyone happens to know their stock better) has Forte and Bergger. From what I"m reading, Forte isn't as good if one wants neutral prints. Am I reading this correctly? So I should go with Bergger? I'm printing too soon to do mail order.

I did a couple of searches on these papers but most included a toning component.

thanks,
    allan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Take a look at "The Photographer's Toning Book: The Definitive Guide" by Tim Rudman. He includes examples of many different papers used with different toners. It might give you a better idea of the results than you can get by reading written descriptions. Everyone has different opinions about what results are 'the best'.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Randy,
    Thanks for the tip. I might look at that book later on. My point, however, was that I am _not_ doing toning, and that I want as neutral a print as possible. Maybe even cold.

Oh, I"m locked into the developer at school, too. I think it's some dektol-esque stuff.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm curious why you don't want to tone? Toning will give you the most archivally sound final image if toned in selenium which, if matched with the correct paper will be a neutral tone.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry, forgot to add that I do all my toning on the back porch, never in the darkroom. The fumes of some toners can fog paper and film, and the fumes of many toners are too strong for an enclosed space. As long as you are not in direct sunlight, you can use almost any toner. It is actualy preferable to tone in a well lit area so that you can compare an untoned print to the one in the toner.

If you are looking for cold paper, try working with cold-tone developers like Ilford or Clayton. I am not familiar enough with the Kodak developers, but I think that Dektol is considered a semi-cold developer.

- Randy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You have to tone it to any ugly shade (way overtoned) if you want archivability. That little dip in toner until you see a color change doesn't make it archival.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I'm curious why you don't want to tone? Toning will give you the most archivally sound final image if toned in selenium which, if matched with the correct paper will be a neutral tone.
    art is about managing compromise

Images
    Allan

I don't like toning either. I guess it could make my pictures last forever, but I'm afraid they will last longer than I will, anyway. I don't think toning is very environmentally friendly and I know it is not very photographer friendly. Supplies are harder to get and it adds more time to the print cycle. Frankly, I need more time shooting and less time rocking trays. Years ago I looked for a paper that made a nice colored print without toning. Some neutral colored papers still have a slight green cast to them without toning. I finally went with Bergger VC CB. It is not neutral, however. Tones are warmish and the paper stock is neutral bright white.

It might be hard to find a neutral to cold paper without toning. Oriental maybe. Mitsubishi?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kentmere bromide in ethol lpd is about as neutral as it gets.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Loose Gravel (sorry I don't know your name),
    Thanks for the tips. Have you tried the Bergger aginst Ilford? Maybe I should just stick to that. (I know, I should always stick with what I know, but it's fun sometimes to experiment).

I just remembered that I happen to have a bottle of Clayton coldtone paper developer at home. Do neutral papers come out cold in them? Or do I need a coldtone paper to do that? What if I put a coldtone paper in the developer? will it come out frozen? ;-)

All - I truly do understand that toning makes more prints archival, and that doing that and using my own print developer would be better. However, it's not practical, and it's not within the parameters of my situation or, in all honesty, question. Thanks for the help, though.

take care,
    allan

Images
    Allan,

When I was looking for a paper, I tried Kodak, Bergger, Ilford, Forte, Cachet, Agfa. I was looking for a VC fiber paper with a slight warm tone, good blacks, and no toning. I wanted white stock without tone. Of the dozen papers I tried, there were many very nice papers, but Bergger was outstanding.

With all those variables, the only developer I used was Defender D55.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin