Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,043   Online: 1191

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tri-X 400 (400tx), DD-X and a Jobo tank - newbie

Hi everyone
    This is my first post on APUG. I have been lurking for a bit and finally decided to jump in

I got a major itch that I need to scratch, I want to process my own black and white film. I shoot 35mm and really have only used tri-x 400. The last couple rolls I shot I sent off to the lab at my local supermarket kiosk where it took roughly 10 days to get the prints back. Reading around I know it takes a couple hours to process this stuff and would be cheaper to do it my self (minus the up front cost) plus I get more control over when and how I want stuff done and most of the time, I just scan the prints and load them up in photoshop and tweak them further. Why pay for prints I aint going to use? So my plan was to develop the negs the way I want them, push em pull em and a ton of other things and scan the frames I like and then go from there and If I really like the frame, I can take the neg some place and have it printed up for real. Besides, this stuff looks fun

Right now I have 2 cameras, a Canon elan 7N and olympus OM-1. I shot digital as well but I broke my 300D (don't ask) and I am saving up for the 30D, or maybe a 20D should I get really desperate for a digital.

I have been thinking of processing my own film for a while, been scanning the web and every thing else and even made a shopping list:

Developer - Ilford DD-X (was going to get Xtol but 5 liters it a little much)
    Stop bath - will have to find local, thinking indicator stop bath
    Fixer - Kodafix
    Some kodak hypo and photoflo

I was going to use a Jobo tank to process the film
    A couple graduates 50ml and 600ml

There are a couple other things not on the list that I know I need, something to mix the soup in and storage bottles. Some extra tri-x rolls, eventualy a bulk roll of the stuff and loader to go with it to play around with

I hope to place the order very soon

Anyone have any comments or suggestions about my list?
    Last edited by slitherjef; 03-06-2006 at 02:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fix a few spelling mistakes and probably make a few more...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    DD-X isn't bad, but I'd suggest Rodinal instead, it's cheaper and lasts longer. I use it for Tri-X at 400 and 1600. I don't bother with Hypo clear, and Ilfostop works well as an Indicated stop.

You'll want some Film clips to hang film, a thermometer. 2L pop bottles handle storage perfectly. Oh, a film squeegee and a funnel.

I'd just go with an AP or Patterson Daylight tank for starters, rather than spending on a Jobo, you can always upgrade later and the daylight tank will come in handy anyways.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tip on the ilfostop, I added it to my list. I looked at the Rodinal and see its very popular, but it looks like much more then I need right now.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin