Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,964   Online: 883

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Selenium toning Adox Vario G

I seem to be experiencing a problem with selenium toning My Adox Vario G paper. I've tried 9:1, 3:1, and 20:1. and although I can dectect some deepening of D-MAx at the lower dilutions image color is totally unaffected unlike forte which for me even at 20:1 I get a very deep brown with a hint of red. Anybody out there had any experience with this paper and selenium? Could my toner just be used up? It still tones forte ok.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same experience for me Ron with Adox Vario - slight intensification but not tone shift with Kodak Selenium. I find that it does go nicely with sepia (bleach and re-tone) though.

Out of interest, how do you use the Adox paper and what grade do you use? I find that the paper is low contrast and my normal negatives need to be printed at grade 4 (100 magenta on a colour head) to get the same contrast as I usually get on grade 3 of other papers. I have been told this is because the paper lacks optical brightners. I would be interested in your experience as I like this paper but still feel I have not fully got to grips with it. But as the price in the UK is so competitive for the paper I want to persevere.

Just recently I developed some Vario in Ilford cooltone and got a very nice cool print. It is also nice developed in a warmtone developer and gold toned.
    However my feeling is that this paper likes a slighter contrastier negative to get good highlight separation in clouds for instance
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin