Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,576   Online: 1030

Thread: Divided D76

Shooter
    35mm RF

Divided D76

Hello there -

I just got back from a trip and have about 60 rolls of Tri-X sitting here. In light of the amount of film that needs to be developed I am thinking that using a divided developer may be a good idea, since these type of developers can deliver great consistency etc. I also believe that it will help control some of the high contrast subjects I shot.

I was curious if anyone here would care to share their experiences with Divided D76.

My standard developer has been Ilford DD-X, but I have also dabbled a little with XTOL.

Thanks,

Harry Lime

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have films from trip, why don't you use your usual developer. I think it's not the best place where you can try new things.

Besides, I prefer replenisher system over divided developers. I use replenisher system with Paterson 5 reel tank. You don't need a large tank for replenished system to work perfectly.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I should add that I rated the Tri-X at 400.

Harry Lime

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [CODE][QUOTE=Ryuji]If you have films from trip, why don't you use your usual developer. I think it's not the best place where you can try new things.[/CODE]

True. I was first going to do a trial run, with a few rolls I shot around town.

Part of what got me started on this idea was that a friend of mine, whom I visited there, has been processing all of his TX in DD76 and I really liked the results. The highlights were very creamy and I am hoping that because a divided developer is very predictable, that it will make it easier to process all 60 rolls with the same consistency.

Harry Lime

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime
    I should add that I rated the Tri-X at 400.
    Harry Lime
    Some swear by Diafine, Acufine, and ACU-1, for
    producing good film speed. ACU-1 is one-shot
    Acufine. I've just started working my way
    through a liter of ACU-1. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good advice from previous posters. I haven't had very good luck, with one exeption, from divided devs. I've tried all the ones from Anchell's "The Darkroom Dookbook and the only one I use repeatedly is D2D (not be be confused with Wimberly's WD2D). I find D2D to be great with faster films like Tri-X.

I have read other threads that speculate that today's emulsions are to thin to soak up enough of Bath A, to make a divided dev. work. Others use them all the time with good results. Go figure.

What ever you do, do a test roll first. Divided devs can be very economical; perfect for doing lots of rolls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    What ever you do, do a test roll first. Divided devs can be very economical; perfect for doing lots of rolls.
    So are replenished developers. There aren't many good replenishable developers you can buy in small quantity, but XTOL can be used in a replenished system, though with the well known risk. D-76 can be replenished (see my website for more details). There are also lots of developers that can be modified to replenishing system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Xtol, DDX lacks nothing compared to Tri X. It gives a smooth curve, as D76, and a step more shadow speed, less granularity.

Divided D76 will induce a shoulder that may not be useful, and DDX really can't be surpassed. Why worry ?

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin