Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,725   Online: 1152

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy, it's the same film Freestyle uses under Arista EDU Ultra. Dirt cheap if you want to try some. The 200 especially is supposed to be much like Tri-X, only contracts better.

- Thom

Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    What is Fomapan? Is it similar to Forte200, JandC200 and Bergger BPF, or is it different film? I have personally never tested or used it.

Sandy
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy,

By way of likeness:

Some say Foma 100 is close in look and soul to the almost exhausted APX100 and a very good substitute if not up to the legendary Agfa quality control. Suposedly the same gritty street look in rodinal etc.

Some say Foma 200 is incredible and I believe that scratched on emulsion reports generally relate to the 100 with no reports I am aware of on the 200 having this issue from the box. Aparrently only 200 in speed increasing devs and otherwise boxed as Acupan 200. Some say married to FX39 this stuff literally glows. Roger Hicks rates this film and FP4 plus the same in FX39, about ei 125.

Some say Foma T200 is Tgrain. Others (incl Roger Hicks who says he has seem EM images of the emulsion from Foma) says it most definitely is not a T grain film but traditional.

Once my last 20 boxes of APX are gone I will continue with FP4 plus and thro in some foma as well. The 200 especially sounds very interesting esp as it seems not to have quality issues.

Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Tom,
    So far I have been lucky and haven't had any QC issues with fomapan 100 in 4x5 (I've gone through 75 sheets at this point).

Sandy et al.,
    Here is where I stand. Exposing the film at 100asa, I have found that 13mins @20c with 5s agitation every 30s gives about the best results. All of the shots I took today, I metered using incident readings, and followed it up via spot. All of the negs I tested fell within what would be considered normal development.
    The negs have great tones to them, and the highlights look great. However, there is a lack of shadow detail. Im sure that the negative should have it on there, as it fell in zone III, but it just isn't on the film.
    Therefore, Im thinking that either 80 or 64asa should do the trick, with perhaps 12mins development time. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it works out for me.

Regards,

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Looking again at the negs this morning, I am thinking that perhaps 64asa might be the better choice. Im waiting for the cloud cover to clear, but hopefully I'll get something today.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am just curious how you meter using incident readings? If you meter in the most highly illuminated areas of the scene you will get under-exposures of 1/2 to to one stop with B&W films with the meter set for the manufactuerer's film speed. If you are really concerned about shadow values double the EI of your film and take the reading in open shadows. (but not in the deepest shadows). Another good solution, perhaps the best one for incident metering with B&W film, is to use the normal ASA value and take two incident readings, one in the shadows, another in the bright part of the scene, and average the two readings. Another option is to halve the film speed and take the reading in the sun but this will not guarantee good shadow detail.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH
    Looking again at the negs this morning, I am thinking that perhaps 64asa might be the better choice. Im waiting for the cloud cover to clear, but hopefully I'll get something today.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sandy,
    Sorry, I suppose I should have been more clear in my explination of my meterings. What I did was I took an incident reading of the scene. I then picked out what I believed should lie in zone III, and zone VII. The outcome of these readings for zone V was equal to the incident reading. I did this to be sure that all of my scenes would be of normal contrast range, and to make sure I had the incident reading proper, and visa versa.

Thanks for the help,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    I am just curious how you meter using incident readings? If you meter in the most highly illuminated areas of the scene you will get under-exposures of 1/2 to to one stop with B&W films with the meter set for the manufactuerer's film speed. If you are really concerned about shadow values double the EI of your film and take the reading in open shadows. (but not in the deepest shadows). Another good solution, perhaps the best one for incident metering with B&W film, is to use the normal ASA value and take two incident readings, one in the shadows, another in the bright part of the scene, and average the two readings. Another option is to halve the film speed and take the reading in the sun but this will not guarantee good shadow detail.

Sandy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    No, I recall that John mentioned he would send me some for testing, but he either forgot or the package was lost because I never received the film
    Sandy
    Hy Sandy,

I bought fomapan 100 some days ago, and I''ve been testing it, here in italy this film exist only in 5x7, my first result the iso range is 32-20 iso, I developed in pyroHD 2:2:100. I think I'll try it the next week, after I'll post my opinion.
    Sandy if you want some of this films, I'll send you to test it. Send me you address and I'll do it.

Bye

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Stefano,

Thanks for the offer of sending the film, but I want to first contact John at JandC about the film to make sure I understand what it is and where it is made.

Best,

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by photo8x10
    Hy Sandy,

I bought fomapan 100 some days ago, and I''ve been testing it, here in italy this film exist only in 5x7, my first result the iso range is 32-20 iso, I developed in pyroHD 2:2:100. I think I'll try it the next week, after I'll post my opinion.
    Sandy if you want some of this films, I'll send you to test it. Send me you address and I'll do it.

Bye

Stefano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have a dark green - neither does my local shop. I'll have to snag one online.
    B&H has them in 5.5 inch round and 8x10 and 10x12 in rectanglular format.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone has done some testing of this films. Is it more like FP4 type of film or more like modern crispy kind of film?

Any thought on this?

Thanks.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin