Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,942   Online: 788

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Calbe A49 works wonderfully with Neopan 400. The tonality and grain are wonderful.

Now marketed in the UK as Adox ATM49, I believe.

I like Neopan 400 a lot, I've had good results with Moersch EFG (allegedly a Perceptol clone) Rodinal and A49. It's probably the film that I've had the most consistently reliable results from.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
    One question about Aculux, I have FX-39 and its got terrible storage properties... barely a month and its gone. I've had to pipette all my remaining FX-39 into small bottles to minimise oxygenation. What are the keeping properties of Aculux?

Jin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ACULUX IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT CREATURE.

Don't know how long it lasts, but 6 months in a partially full bottle is fine.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    Aculux 2 question: I'm tempted to try this developer. How solvent is it, say, compared to XTOL at a given dilution? Does it give a crisp grain rendition with medium speed films? Hard to answer question I suppose...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my darkroom, Aculux lives between the Xtol and Rodinal.

Tonally, it has the long straight line of Rodinal instead of the Xtol shoulder.

A tad less (Zone II ) speed than Xtol, more than Rodinal.

More acute than Xtol, finer grain than Rodinal.

The splendid local contrast and superb midtones of both Rodinal and Xtol.

Does not build acutance effects like Rodinal, FX2, or FX 39.
    But it has doesn't look in any way soft. It is very well balanced, but has no shortcomings. It is a bit like D76 1+1, but ..... well, shoot, I just like it a ton better.
    And I like D76 1+1 a lot.

Works exceedingly well with higher dilutions, and minimal agitation.

Geoffrey Crawley is a great man.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have tried a number of developers with this film including Xtol, Rodinal, Microdol, FX2, FX 39 and Minicol. By a slight but noticeable margin , I have found Cawley's FX 15 to be the best for balancing tonality, grain' and acutance. It does not keep well however, and it is strictly a mix your own item so I will definitely be shooting a roll and processing it in Aculux 2 in the next few days. As is obvious. I am not yet a recovering magic bullet chaser.

Jay L.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a fair bit of Neopan 400 (approx 50 rolls) & like the results from Xtol 1:2
    12.5 mins at 20 degrees
    Agitate first 30 secs then 10 secs every minute.

I'm intrigued by the positive responses to Aculux 2 & curious to try this out.

pauldc says
    "Rate the film at EI 250 and develop for 7.5 minutes at 20 degrees C with 10 seconds agitation per minute."

Any other specific techniques for exposure & development from regular users of this combination?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get 400 ei with Paterson's suggested time of 12', with agitatin once per minute.

Paterson's data has been pretty good for me... or lucky !

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get 400 ei with Paterson's suggested time of 12', with agitation once per minute.

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    I get 400 ei with Paterson's suggested time of 12', with agitation once per minute.

Thanks for that.
    By 'agitation once per minute', do you meant just one inversion cycle per minute?
    How much agitation to get things started?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin