Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,674   Online: 1181

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    While we're talking about Aculux and FX-15. I've wanted to try these both and have always wondered if Aculux and Aculux 2 are descendants of FX-15 or entirely new developers. Aculux certainly seemed to fill the FX-15 sized gap in the Patterson line. Similar at least?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie
    Thanks for that.
    By 'agitation once per minute', do you meant just one inversion cycle per minute?
    How much agitation to get things started?
    I should have said that I agitate about 15 seconds at the beginning, ending with a shake and a rap on the counter. I agitate for 5 seconds ( 3 inversions ) every minute.

( I use a kinderman tank, with hewes reels, and it is very efficient.
    With paterson tanks, maybe 10 seconds would be better, as it seemes to take longer to make the 3 inversions ... no real reason, it works. )
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I'm using Paterson tanks & no way could I invert 3 times in 5 seconds.
    Thanks for the extra info, now I have a good starting point to test some film.
    Strangely enough, it sounds like the method & time will be very close to my current Xtol 1:2 regimen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MMfoto
    Aculux 2 question: I'm tempted to try this developer. How solvent is it, say, compared to XTOL at a given dilution? Does it give a crisp grain rendition with medium speed films? Hard to answer question I suppose...
    In my experience Aculux2 has better tonality (beautiful creamy tonality) than Xtol and is sharper. It has long life storage (up to 6 months) as long as you decant it in to small full glass bottles - if you leave it in the original red bottle it will go yellow within 3 months and be useless.

In terms of grain, with Neopan and Delta 400 when properly exposed there is very little grain. The downside of Aculux2 (always has to be a trade off) is that in my experience it is a poor push developer and likes to have films rated 2/3's of their ISO speed.

I agree with df in placing Aculux2 between Rodinal and Xtol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ill second Aculux 2 for being a great all rounder and the comments are dead on. Tonality is the best I have ever seen, speed acceptable and no worse than D76 1+1, acutance pretty good for a smoothie and dead simple to use as well as being cheap and lasting OK. I went for FX39 as an option as you already have some.

Personally, for when pyrocat HD aint about (not now as I am moving about every 5 mins) I use Aculux 2 and FX 39 and am VERY happy. I use other things only when I cannot get these. Truly superb and so undervalued for reasons I don't understand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrattan
    Calbe A49 works wonderfully with Neopan 400. The tonality and grain are wonderful.
    What sort of times/ dilutions are you using?

All help much appreciated

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell

Works exceedingly well with higher dilutions, and minimal agitation.
    What sort of dilutions/ times are you using?

All help much appreciated,

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young
    What sort of dilutions/ times are you using?

All help much appreciated,

Lachlan
    I started with Paterson suggestions: 1+9, 1+15; can't think of a better beginning.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, I tried Aculux 2, 1+9 for 12 mins, @ 20C. The results are less than stunning.... the tonality is washed out and grey, acutance is terrible. I agitated normally (inversions) for the 1st min and then used very gentle, non-inverting agitation for 10 secs every 1 min after that.

What did I do wrong?

The negs can be salvaged, but I don't like the look of them through the scanner. No idea what they're like to print yet as I haven't dragged out my enlarger for a while.

Jin

Shooter
    35mm
    First post.

Neopan 400 is my standard film, and I've had pleasing (but different) results in Rodinal and Aculux. However, my very best results - fine grain, and pleasing tonality - have been with D76 (neat, not 1:1).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin