Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,628   Online: 725

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Stand Develope in Trays?

Has anyone tried stand developing in trays? Can this be done or does the film need to be fully immersed in a vertical orientation?

Mike

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It can be done. But the problem is that the films tend to either float to the surface so the emulsion dries out (emulsion side up), or sink to the bottom and stick to the bottom of the tray (emulsion side down).

With glass plate negatives it's easy!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no problem with stand development in a tray. Emulsion side up and the sheets sink to the bottom.
    To keep the sheets from overlaying, I use a slosher tray.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike, the general opinion is that it is easier to get good results with a vertical orientation. My best results have been in this manner as well. For 8x10 you might consider a new gallon paint can with a lid, a length of 3" black abs plumbing drain line (new one please, not used) with a cap on one end and a screw plug on the other, or some other variation on this theme. Best results come from careful initial agitation and subsequent cycles of a uniform and gentle nature. Steve Sherman has become the default expert in this method, by means of his tried and true (trial and error) approach. He seems to have re-invented the wheel with astounding results. Best, tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I have stated in previous posts, I get identical results (uniform development, no streaking):

1. stand developing in slosher trays (Pyrocat-HD, film emulsion side up, with water pre-soak).

2. stand developing in BZTS type tubes (i.e., vertical orientation), (Pyrocat-HD, with water pre-soak).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    I just bought a cheap paper safe to use as a stand developing tray. I got the kind whose lid hinges at one end. I think a plastic picture frame will keep the film from sticking to the bottom. Haven't tried it yet, but if worst comes to worst, I can always use another paper safe. My idea was that the lid would allow me to go about other business with lights or safelight on during long periods between agra..agitation.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Slosher -Vs- Hanger

When I got my used 4X5 camera it came with 6 or so hangers that I've never used. I've been using a CPE 2.
    The discussions on Stand Development has caught my imagination and my question is, is there a difference in results or potential for disaster when using hangers versus a slosher tray?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hangers for anything take a little bit of learning curve. I tried using hangers for normal development, but I got developer surge on my film from the vent holes in the hanger frames. This may not be a problem with EMA/semi-stand, but the downside to hangers is the extreme volume of chemistry you have to mix up relative to the number of sheets you can process.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    I just bought a cheap paper safe to use as a stand developing tray. I got the kind whose lid hinges at one end. I think a plastic picture frame will keep the film from sticking to the bottom. Haven't tried it yet, but if worst comes to worst, I can always use another paper safe. My idea was that the lid would allow me to go about other business with lights or safelight on during long periods between agra..agitation.

Great idea. I've got 2 11x14 safes like you describe that are not in use. Build a slosher tray to go in them and I've got a day light developing tray. Now if I just have the time to built it and the New Mexico spring winds stop blowing long enough to set up the 4x5.

Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    I just bought a cheap paper safe to use as a stand developing tray.
    That's the best, most ingenious idea I've seen come out of APUG in 4 years. My hat's off to you Gadget.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin