Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,743   Online: 845

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A question about fixer

Hi all I've got some rolls of film laying around that I need to develop and the only fixer I have is PF's TF-4 - I bought it for using with prints. Is it ok to use with film (Ilford to be exact)?

Also, as I have a sporadic need to develop films, is there a good concentrate on the market that I can mix as needed? Would Ilford's fixer fit that requirement?

I apologize in advance if my question is beating a dead horse but I certainly appreciate the help! Thanks and have a great weekend

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    yes and yes

ps, be sure NOT to use an acid stop bath
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    YES, normally any fixer can be "universal" just dilutions maybe different
    Check the instructions of TF4

PF says HERE
    MIXING TF-4 (Shake well before using.)
    USE DISTILLED WATER FOR BEST RESULTS
    TF-4 is an already prepared liquid stock solution. To mix TF-4 working solution, the stock solution is mixed with three parts of water. For one gallon of working solution, take 1000 ml of TF-4 stock, and add 3000 ml of distilled water.
    STORING TF-4
    All photographic solutions should be used as soon as possible. TF-4 stock solution should not be kept for more than 12 months. All fixers should be kept away from high heat (over 85° F), as this will shorten the shelf life. If TF-4 is to be kept for some weeks after opening, it should be placed in smaller bottles filled to the top, with tight caps.
    TF-4 is more concentrated than other fixers. It is packaged as a supersaturated solution, and you must shake well‚ before placing it into smaller bottles or mixing the working solution. The working solution will become perfectly clear within a half hour. Parts of the cloudy precipitation may be a beige color - This is harmless.
    CAPACITY
    The capacity of TF-4 is about 30 8x10 prints on fiber-based paper, 60 8x10 prints on resin coated paper, per liter of working solution. Some people are fixing many more sheets of paper than stated here. Do your own testing for your maximum capacity.
    For film the capacity is 15-20 rolls of film per liter of working solution.
    USING TF-4 ON PRINTS (Shake well before using)
    1- Develop the print as usual.
    2- Drain.
    3- Rinse in running water at 68° F for 30 seconds, with continuous agitation.
    Do not use a stop-bath.
    4- Drain.
    5- Place the resin-coated print in the TF-4 fixer for 30 seconds, or fiber-base prints for 1 minute.
    6- Drain and immediately place in a tray containing 68° F running water.
    7- Wash fiber-based papers for at least 15 minutes - up to 25 minutes. Wash resin coated papers at least 3 minutes - up to 5.
    Note: To establish proper washing times for your system we recommend testing processed emulsions with our Formulary Residual Hypo Test kit (cat. no. 03-0150). Since every darkroom has a different washing system (i.e. from hose in tray to archival print washer) our recommended wash times are approximate. Please test your system for wash times.
    USING TF-4 ON T-MAX FILM: (shake well before using)
    Since T-MAX films have a built-in hardener and TF-4 has no hardener, they make a great combination. Ilford now says you do not need a hardening fixer with Pan F, FP-4, or HP-5.
    1- Develop the film as usual.
    2- Rinse with 68° F running water for 1 minute.
    3- Fix T-Max film for 6 minutes, with 5 inversions once a minute; or fix for 4 minutes with 30 seconds of agitation per minute. With other films, fix only 3 to 4 minutes.
    4- Note: Most of the magenta stain should be removed from the film; the rest of the stain will be removed in the water wash.
    5- Wash the film in 68° F running water for 5 minutes.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I occasionally use Ilford's fix for film. No problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    yes and yes

ps, be sure NOT to use an acid stop bath
    Why? What will happen? (all I have is Kodak stop bath)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll carry over acid into the fixer. TF-4 is an alkaline fixer. Just use water for stop.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Why? What will happen? (all I have is Kodak stop bath)

TF-4 is an alkaline fixer. Acid stop bath will shorten it's life. You remember your acids and bases from 7th grade!? They cancel each other out, depending on the strength of one or the other.

Just dev the print as normal, use a water bath instead of stop and go into the TF-4.

The beauty of an alkaline fix like TF-4 is that is washes out of film and paper must faster than an acid fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using Kodak Industrex fixer without the hardener for last last few years. The concentrate comes in 5 liter containers and seems to last forever without sulfurizing. It's available through my local dealer which is convenient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    You'll carry over acid into the fixer. TF-4 is an alkaline fixer. Just use water for stop.
    juan
    Oh, ok. Well, I've never used H2O as a stop when developing film - how long shoud I time the stop phase?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use 5 changes of water in 1.5 mins, agitating 10 secs each.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin