Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,561   Online: 963
      
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    6,242

    Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Bisulfite, and Sodium Metabisulfite

    Are any of these chemicals interchangeable in developer formulations? If so what are the relative amounts used in substitutions?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,010
    Ryuji Suzuki has an informative article on the interchangeability of the bisulphite and meta bisulphite at:

    http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/ch...misnomers.html

    The sulphite is different.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Yes, to some extent. Both sodium metabisulfite and sodium bisulfite are acidic and are used as a preservative in many two part developers (PMK, Pyrocat-HD, Rollo Pyro, etc.) In this application plain sodium sulfite is not interchangeable with metabisulfite and bisulfit.

    However, when dissolved in water (as in a working solution) both sodium metabisulfite and sodium bisulfite release sulfite ions. On a per gram basis, in this type of application, the ratio is about 13:10 sodium metabisuflite to sodium sulfite.

    But see Ryuyji's web page mentioned above for a more detailed discussion of the subject.

    Sandy



    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Are any of these chemicals interchangeable in developer formulations? If so what are the relative amounts used in substitutions?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    6,242
    Thanks for the information. I will check it out.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Are any of these chemicals interchangeable
    in developer formulations? If so what are the
    relative amounts used in substitutions?
    They are all interchangeable only if the formula
    so states. Other wise only the two bisulfites
    are interchangeable.

    The two bisulfites are acid salts and the same save
    for the meta form being short one molecule of H2O.
    That is due to the loss of one H2O at the time of
    crystallization. Just add water and you've the
    bisulfite; Na2S2O5 + H2O = 2, NaHSO3.
    Strictly speaking the meta is a bit
    more of a concentrate.

    The sulfite is moderately alkaline while the bisulfites
    are moderately acid. They are all sulfites and so do act
    as preservatives. I've some phenidone concentrate
    using sodium bisulfite. Generally, an acid solution
    of a reducing agent will preserve better than
    an alkaline solution of same. Dan

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    However, when dissolved in water (as in a working solution)
    both sodium metabisulfite and sodium bisulfite release sulfite
    ions. On a per gram basis, in this type of application, the ratio
    is about 13:10 sodium metabisuflite to sodium sulfite. Sandy
    The meta is not a bi nor a sulfite; Na2S2O5. Meta means
    a form more nearly anhydrous or lacking some water. Similar
    are the acids of boron, ortho, meta, and tetra. We use
    the sodium salts metaborate and tetraborate.

    By weight 190 parts of the metabisulfite equal 208 of the
    bisulfite. In solution the meta will hydrate, absorb H2O,
    and transform into a bisulfite.

    IIRC there seems to be some question as to what is
    in the bottle. Some years ago I read Ryuji's writings on
    the subject. He covers the subject in more detail. Dan

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    The meta is not a bi nor a sulfite; Na2S2O5. Meta means
    a form more nearly anhydrous or lacking some water. Similar
    are the acids of boron, ortho, meta, and tetra. We use
    the sodium salts metaborate and tetraborate.

    By weight 190 parts of the metabisulfite equal 208 of the
    bisulfite. In solution the meta will hydrate, absorb H2O,
    and transform into a bisulfite.

    IIRC there seems to be some question as to what is
    in the bottle. Some years ago I read Ryuji's writings on
    the subject. He covers the subject in more detail. Dan
    I have visited Ryuji's site and am aware of the the meta versus bisulfite issue.

    As for the ratio of sulfite ions released by sodium metabisulfite when dissolved compared to sulfite ions from sodium sulfite when dissolved, I believe that is correct.

    Sandy

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,416
    Since my web site got mentioned... I'm in process of converting old static html based technical info pages to Wiki system similar to wikipedia. It's a lot easier for me to edit and update articles this way. (It's also easy to start writing something and expand later.) So when the link for old stuff goes away, try to search by keyword in the wiki page.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin