Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,177   Online: 857

Shooter
    Medium Format

Curious about p-aminophenol

Are there any other film developer formulas using p-aminophenol other than Rodinal (and its versions such as R09 etc) and now Sandy's pyrocat-P? Also, although recipes for do-it-yourself Rodinal specify the hydrochloride, I read that it becomes the non-hydrochloride part way through the mixing. So can the plain p-aminophenol be used for a Rodinal clone, or is the hydrochloride necessary?

Also, since Rodinal is reported to make a very nice warm tone print developer, are there any formulas for using p-aminophenol to make a warm tone print developer?

Part of my curiosity stems from the comparatively low price of p-aminophenol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    J W Shaw (Rodinal) Warmtone developer

www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=109

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    Also, since Rodinal is reported to make a very
    nice warm tone print developer, are there any
    formulas for using p-aminophenol to make a
    warm tone print developer?
    P-aminophenol as the single agent in a print
    developer should produce full scale prints.

To test place 5ml of Rodinal in 250ml of water
    and use half that amount for 1 5x7. To the other
    half add 1 gram of sodium carbonate and test again.
    Allow as much as 5 minutes development.

Many film developers make fine print developers but
    need spiking; the carbonate. Let us know. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    I briefly played around with the following formula:

TEA: 100ml
    p-aminophenol hydrochloride: 4.5g
    ascorbic acid: 9g

This is a variant of PC-TEA using p-aminophenol hydrochloride rather than phenidone; I call it "PAC-TEA." I've used it at 1+50 dilution. It works, but more slowly than other developers; times on the order of 15-20 minutes (with Ilford Pan F+ and Fomapan 400) seem to be required to get acceptable density. I've not done extensive testing of the developer's characteristics, so I can't comment on its important features (acutance, film speed, grain, tonality, etc.)

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't find the link, but here is Patrick Gainer's formula.

34 g p-aminophenol
    167 g potassium sulfite OR 133 g sodium sulfite
    17 g potassium hydroxide OR 12 g sodium hydroxide
    763 ml water

As a side note, Gainer states that if you use the p-aminophenol hydochloride you will need about twice as much of the hydroxide.

Gainer suggests mixing in reverse order, add the water, then sulfite and hydroxide, adding the aminophenol last. No titration needed.

I have mixed this, and it works great. I really like the negatives produced.

Thanks Pat.

Images
    Now if you make a solution of 80 grams p-aminophenol base in propylene glycol to make a liter, you can do lots of things with it. You can make a solution of 28 grams of sodium hydroxide and 100 or more grams of sodium sulfite in water to make a liter. Equal parts of this solution and the p-aminophenol-glycol solution in water will give the results of Rodinal. !:1:48 will be like 1:50 of Rodinal. You can use part of the p-aminophenol solution in Sandy King's Pyrocat P whether you dissolve the whole formula in glycol or in water. I'm sure you will think of other ways to use it.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    I briefly played around with the following formula:

TEA: 100ml
    p-aminophenol hydrochloride: 4.5g
    ascorbic acid: 9g

This is a variant of PC-TEA using p-aminophenol hydrochloride rather than phenidone; I call it "PAC-TEA." I've used it at 1+50 dilution. It works, but more slowly than other developers; times on the order of 15-20 minutes (with Ilford Pan F+ and Fomapan 400) seem to be required to get acceptable density. I've not done extensive testing of the developer's characteristics, so I can't comment on its important features (acutance, film speed, grain, tonality, etc.)
    I think the p-aminophenol base is a lot more soluble in TEA than the hydrochloride. The hydrochloride along with the ascorbic acid requires a fair amount more of alkali to make it work.
    Gadget Gainer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin