Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,771   Posts: 1,670,948   Online: 1040

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How can you clean the neg from a Polaroid 55?

Can any one tell me how to clean that gooey junk (the developer) off of a processed Polaroid 55 negative for the sake of storage and future use of the neg?

TIA
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sodium Sulfite. Go to www.calumetphoto.com and do a search on "Clearing Tank for Polaroid Positive/Negative Films". They have a convenient kit for doing this.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you can also use perma wash.
    it is mostly sodium sulphite ( from what i have been told ).

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What works best for me is to place the negative first in a 30 sec. bath of water where I do a little rub on the negative to get the larger of the goop off, then a 30 sec. bath of 75 ml of Perma Wash mixed with three liters of water (the purple chemicals quickly disappear), and then a final 30 sec rinse of water. I do this all in two buckets.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about HOT HOT water??

Seems to do the trick for me. In the field i put the negative in a suitable zip-lock plastic bag with some of my drinking water (double shout of your favorite :-). One negative in each bag, several bags in a sealed plastic container. The Hot water when home however they seems almost cleaned by then.

Best Regards
    Morten :-)

"Please ! Bring me into the company of those who seek the truth, and deliver me from those who have found it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    25 Mar 2006

I purchased a 1 gallon pale and a 4x5 sheet film developing tank holder (conceivably one could use a JOBO sheet film reel) and use just plain water to soak the negatives. When I an done with my field work, or when I get home, I wash the negs in water (about 68F). This is lots easier than having to deal with sulfite in the field. However, I really like the bag idea.

The final step is to run them through a bath of Photo-Flo (or like) and hang them to dry. Under no circumstances should the processing jelly (aka "goop") dry, it it does the negative is ruined.

Note: I have noticed that if the negative is exposed to bright light during clearing the processing jelly the negatives may show some Sabattier effect.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What's all this about soaking and washing, I thought you just taped them to the side of the car and ran it thru a car wash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vet173
    . . . and ran it thru a car wash.
    I think that depends on the car wash, and whether they have big brushes or those floppy rag things.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips, all.

I tried the sulfite trick yesterday on one negative and it cleaned up pretty well.

Given the price and the inconvenience of the Polaroid format in the first place (and the weight and the inconvenience of my bruiser Speed Graphic in the second), I think that my Polaroid use will be occasional.

Mike in warming-up Ottawa.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mike,
    cleaning negatives in the field is a pain in the arse, and Sodium Sulphite stains everything. Better to wait until you get somewhere nice and warm and then develop the film. Like others, I find warm water just as good, you just need to make sure you wash all the anti-halation dye (the purple stuff) off the film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin