Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,622   Online: 758

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Get over it

Rollei Pan 25 is NOT Agfapan 25 nor Agfa APX 25. Get over it. It's not an urban myth -- it's a lie. I've used Agfapan 25 for the last 30 years from 4x5 to submini. Rollei Pan 25 is NOT the same stuff. The best alternative I've found is GIGABIT 25. It's made in GErmany, not cheap, and it is not sold in the USA -- at least not in 4x5 -- but it has the same straight CI line as APX -- developed in THEIR developer (which comes with the film).

I shoot GIGABIT 25 4x5 at ISO 12 -- just like Agfapan 25 -- but my freezer is full of APX 25 in the 35mm size, so I'm all set in that format. If GIGABIT is not an alternative for you, I suggest Ilford Delta 100.

Let's stop this silliness. APX 25 is dead, long dead, much to my sorrow. Get over it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xkaes
    Let's stop this silliness. APX 25 is dead, long dead, much to my sorrow. Get over it.
    Exactly.

propose that it's time to try a new film. There are lots of great films out there so why not grab some Rollei 25, Efke 25, Efke 50 etc. and have some fun with the slow films that are out there.

Best of luck.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot GIGABIT 25 4x5 at ISO 12 -- just like Agfapan 25 -- but my freezer is full of APX 25 in the 35mm size, so I'm all set in that format. If GIGABIT is not an alternative for you, I suggest Ilford Delta 100.
    Gigabit is not a film but a solution containing a microfilm and a developer.

Gigabit in 35mm is Agfa Copex Rapid (its only available in 16mm and 35mm rolls)
    Gigabit in sheet film/120 is Agfa Copex HDP (its available in 166mm wide 5mil rolls).

Other "alternatives" are other microfilm and microfische stocks.. Key are the developers. Current "state of the art" are the SPUR developers.. Gigabit is an earlier stage of the development from when Heribert Schain was partners with Detlef Ludwig. Ludwig went on to create "Gigabit" and Schain continued to tinker and established his SPUR series of developers...

Personally I see the main benefit of these microfilms in submini formats.. They are not APX25--- I really liked its tonality once the contrast got tamed. in 4x5" I'd grab a film with better tonality.. something like (if you want to speak Ilford) FP4 or HP5... or if I wanted something "special" then Ilford Ortho-Plus..
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    >>Gigabit is not a film but a solution containing a microfilm and a developer.

Gigabit in 35mm is Agfa Copex Rapid (its only available in 16mm and 35mm rolls)
    Gigabit in sheet film/120 is Agfa Copex HDP (its available in 166mm wide 5mil rolls).

Other "alternatives" are other microfilm and microfische stocks.. Key are the developers. Current "state of the art" are the SPUR developers.. Gigabit is an earlier stage of the development from when Heribert Schain was partners with Detlef Ludwig. Ludwig went on to create "Gigabit" and Schain continued to tinker and established his SPUR series of developers... <<

Indeed 100% correct info.
    Same like Retro 100/400 (35mm) is APX emulsion from the bought masterrolls.

Rollei R3 is a TSF on clear layer and n.c.; fits with depth developers like AM74 1+7/R.H.S. or CG512/R.L.S. Practical E.I. 50-1000.

A nice industrial I.R. film, Rollei IR-400.

And the Rollei Pan 25. Has nothing to do with APX25 nor Efke25. Coorperation between Maco/(Rollei) and Efke in Croatia is already terminated for almost two years or so.

Try it and you will like it, or not. I think it's a good film and can certainly compete with PAN F or Efke 25, a single layer film but totally different than the Rollei PAN 25. Hopefully their Q.C. is better than Efke.

Robert

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Who makes the Rollei IR-400?
    Who makes the Rollei Pan 25?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I heard it was Agfa

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    I heard it was Agfa
    Makes sense!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amund

Shooter
    4x5 Format

gigabit

My sensitometric tests show that GIGABIT has the same CI as AGFAPAN 25 -- under my conditions. In short, it works for me. And it's not "just" Copex. I've tried Copex in my Minolta subminis. The color is off and the highlights block up. I have none of that "TECH PAN crap" with GIGABIT. I'd still like to use APX 25 in my 4x5, but that's not an option. I have used Ilford Delta 100 with great results, but GIGABIT can't be beat in my mind. EIGHT foot prints? No problema!

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My sensitometric tests show that GIGABIT has the same CI as AGFAPAN 25 -- under my conditions. In short, it works for me. And it's not "just" Copex.
    Joe, it is Copex.

I've tried Copex in my Minolta subminis. The color is off and the highlights block up.
    What developer? That's the key. Developing microfilm (or Technical Pan for that matter) for pictorial applications is non-trivial. These films were designed for high contrast, high resolution applications and so contrast is quite difficult to tame and getting the tonality right is hard.

There are loads of approaches to tacking microfilm. A popular approach was Marilyn Levy's POTA (which form, I think, the basis for Technidol) but in the 1950s there were other approaches published by Agfa (!) including even dilute Rodinal. Remember H&W Control? The film too was Copex.. and David Foy has updated the formula (using the expired patents as guide) for his Bluefire Police (the microfilm is a Copex albeit NOT the Copex Rapid).. and then there is Gigabit.. and SPUR Nanospeed (SPUR has other developers for other microfilms including Kodak Imagelink)..
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin