Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,756   Online: 837

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

8x10 sheet film movement

Any of you had any problems with 8x10 film either shifting or buckling during long exposures - i.e from say between 10 seconds and 2 minutes? Any tricks out there?
    Thanks
    Tim Jones

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by climbabout
    Any of you had any problems with 8x10 film either shifting or buckling during long exposures - i.e from say between 10 seconds and 2 minutes? Any tricks out there?
    Thanks
    Tim Jones
    Nope. Not me.

Can you explain your problem further? Are you, perhaps, shooting with the film (camera) aimed straight down? What kind of film holders? Are you less-than-careful when firing your shutter at both ends of the shoot? Are you maybe removing a lens cap too harshly to expose the film (thus creating vibration)?

I use Fidelity holders for my 8x10 and never had this issue - even with exposures as long as 20 minutes. If you have a solid tripod and steady camera in a vibration free are, I can't see your film shifting or buckling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have. I think its a common problem. Mostly I've seen it on hot, humid days. Solutions I've heard about are tapping the holder before insertion, using some kind of double sided tape, and waiting a period of time between removing the dark slide and making the exposure. I solved it by going to 5x7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never had that problem.
    But hot, humid day comes pretty rare here in Norway
    Amund

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    Nope. Not me.

Can you explain your problem further? Are you, perhaps, shooting with the film (camera) aimed straight down? What kind of film holders? Are you less-than-careful when firing your shutter at both ends of the shoot? Are you maybe removing a lens cap too harshly to expose the film (thus creating vibration)?

I use Fidelity holders for my 8x10 and never had this issue - even with exposures as long as 20 minutes. If you have a solid tripod and steady camera in a vibration free are, I can't see your film shifting or buckling.
    I have eliminated camera vibration of any kind in this instance - the tripod was solid, ground movemnet in this area did not occur and the esposure in this last instance was long enough that any movement from the shutter opening and closing would have had no noticeable effect on image sharpnes. I'm not sure which holder this neg cam from - either fidelity or elite -.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe the film has slipped a little in the holder? I've made it a habit to tap the holder a few times to be sure the film is seated before I insert the holder into the camera.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    Maybe the film has slipped a little in the holder? I've made it a habit to tap the holder a few times to be sure the film is seated before I insert the holder into the camera.
    Thanks - that's my gut feeling as to what happened - I believe there's probably about 1/32" play in how the film fits in the holder and it may have just shifted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by climbabout
    Thanks - that's my gut feeling as to what happened - I believe there's probably about 1/32" play in how the film fits in the holder and it may have just shifted.
    That would be my guess, as well, Tim. The film will move around within the tolerance area during transport, and if the shooting position is opposite the side that the film settled to during transport, gravity will often eventually take over. I've also adopted the habit of tapping the holder (holding it in one hand, and tapping against the other palm) just prior to insertion to move the film to the bottom.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    That would be my guess, as well, Tim. The film will move around within the tolerance area during transport, and if the shooting position is opposite the side that the film settled to during transport, gravity will often eventually take over. I've also adopted the habit of tapping the holder (holding it in one hand, and tapping against the other palm) just prior to insertion to move the film to the bottom.
    Thanks - That procedure will now be part of my routine - I never dreamed a change in format from 5x7 to 8x10 and from enlarging to contact printing would involve this big a learning curve. Throw in getting accustomed to pyro based developer and semi stand development and it's like starting over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do the tapping and have never had a film shift. And I shoot in a hot and humid climate.
    juan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin