Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,630   Online: 853

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dumb developer question

I opened a small bottle of Ilford Ilfosol S in late September and only used a little bit (I think I just did 2 rolls of 35mm). What's left is brownish. It's now bad, right?

Finland (no, that's not where the polar bears live)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to "manual" which came with the bottle it stays good 4 months after opening the bottle, if it's airtight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Shakespeare once remarked "Aye there's the rub." Ilford bottles are just not very good. The caps are notorious for splitting if one tightens them too much. I hope that the new Ilford products come in better ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the cap isn't cracked, but there's air in the bottle from having used some when I first opened it. I wish stuff like this shipped in squishable bottles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess is that you may be near, or somewhat beyond the optimal storage-after-opening period. You could try developing a short test roll to see if the developer is still good. Or, to be safe, just dump it.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, a test roll is the only way to be sure. It also might not matter if it was packaged in squishable bottles as most plastic is air-permeable anyway. The best way to handle this in the future is to use up the dev quickly or decant into smaller glass bottles and fill up the air space with glass marbles.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A bit of a curiosity... at least to me! Most liquid developers to my knowledge come packaged from the factory in "HDPE" containers that are gas permeable. I would think that over a sufficient period a developer would deteriorate less if stored in "PETE" plastic containers that for all practical purposes are impermeable.

I've just started using PETE containers for my TMax RS (stock solution) and have not yet been able to determine any benefits to the change. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RGyori
    A bit of a curiosity... at least to me! Most liquid developers to my knowledge come packaged from the factory in "HDPE" containers that are gas permeable. I would think that over a sufficient period a developer would deteriorate less if stored in "PETE" plastic containers that for all practical purposes are impermeable.

I've just started using PETE containers for my TMax RS (stock solution) and have not yet been able to determine any benefits to the change. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Bob

Most of those bottles are HDPE. I bought two KALT chemical bottles and they are HDPE. I guess the best bet is glasses. Someone uses wine bottles and air stoppers. Soda bottles are PETE. Maybe you can go to your local drug store and ask for those 8oz bottles for liquid.

My had somewhat 5-6 oz ilford rapid fixer left in the original ILford bottle (500ml) and I always tried to squeeze the air out before I tight the cap. Still after almost a year (i know it has been too long) the fixer were cloudy. I am thinking of those bottles with a bellow that you can push the air out. Anyone tried those things yet?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In general, the container materials good for developers are poor for stop baths and fixers. PETE and PVC are good for developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given the price of a new bottle (I pay £2.99) it hardly seems worth risking a test roll. I'd suggest buying a new bottle. if you want to stick with Ilford but are not using a lot of developer ILFORD LC29 has a supposedly longer shelf life so this may be worth trying (it costs twice as much but there is less chance of spoiling).
    Cheers CJB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin