Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,779   Online: 845
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    984
    There is a precendent for this concern over Rodinal batches. Here in Australia, because of low turnover and the long shelf life, it appears that Rodinal was imported by Agfa Australia at long intervals. My first bottle of Rodinal in the early 1970s was quite dark. Some years later, I bought a bottle that was fairly pale. Being a cynic, I cursed the manufacturers for meddling with the formula, but it still worked. I have since read that many customers here and in New Zealand were also disturbed by this, but as far as I know there really was no difference.

    Does anyone know if the formula did change in the last 50 years?

    Turnover here is still low. There was plenty of Rodinal at Vanbar North Melbourne last time I looked.

  2. #12
    Dave Parker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,049
    I had three cases of Rodinal before Christmas and sold them, people were paying to much to keep it around, sorry call me a whore, but it did pay for a nice Christmas Holiday for me and the wife...

    I know, I am a cad, interested in nothing but profit, what can I say...



    Dave

  3. #13
    Lee L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,244
    I have a nice bottle of the '54 that I'm saving for just the right occasion.

    Lee

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I had three cases of Rodinal before Christmas and sold them, people were paying to much to keep it around, sorry call me a whore, but it did pay for a nice Christmas Holiday for me and the wife...

    I know, I am a cad, interested in nothing but profit, what can I say...



    Dave
    You would only be a cad if you replaced about 30% of each bottle with water
    to stretch your profits. That's what I did ;>)

    -R

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    105
    Swill, I tell you. Nothing compares to a nice '45, '59, or '61

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    I have a nice bottle of the '54 that I'm saving for just the right occasion.

    Lee

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Images
    11
    Oh well, back in the "OH MY GOD AGFA RODINAL IS GOING AWAY FOREVER!" Crisis of the 1970's, I bought a pound of photo grade p-aminophenol (Base). Still have plenty left!
    Tom Hoskinson
    ______________________________

    Everything is analog - even digital :D

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Oh well, back in the "OH MY GOD AGFA RODINAL IS GOING AWAY FOREVER!" Crisis of the 1970's, I bought a pound of photo grade p-aminophenol (Base). Still have plenty left!
    Has it kept well? One spec sheet I read suggested quite a short shelf life due to oxidation.

  8. #18
    david b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    None of your business
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    4,034
    Images
    30
    I've gotta be honest and think I've had some issues with the rodinal I bought about 3 months. I can't quite explain it but something looks wrong. I'lll have to pull out the negs to look again.

  9. #19
    MattCarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,303
    Images
    31
    I know this isn't fair, but on reading "Rodinal Quality" I immediately thought:

    Jumbo Shrimp
    Military Intelligence
    fail safe
    serious fun....

    Matt

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    Has it kept well? One spec sheet I read suggested quite a short shelf life due to oxidation.
    I'd better take it down off the shelf and test it.
    Tom Hoskinson
    ______________________________

    Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin