Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,611   Online: 956

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Processing Ready Loads; Static

I am in the midst of processing Kodak Tmax 100 Readiloads for the first time. I think I figured out how to disassemble them without too much problem. I notice that when I pull off the cardboard sleeve, a brief green static light occurs right at the end when the cardboard sleeve passed over the plastic piece. I did not notice any fogging with the first batch but I haven't printed them. I try to go slowly, gently, etc. but it always happens.

Should I worry about this? Am I doing it wrong? Thanks.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I process ACROS and Velvia Quickloads weekly. Are you standing on carpet or a rug when you are pulling them through the sleeve? Are you located in a cold climate where static electricity may build up in the atmosphere? If so are you wearing shoes (rubber soled) and possibly stand on a rubber mat. I ask because I have never noticed any static light and I am standing on a tile floor in Florida.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just about all glues will release static electricity when pulled away from the object that they are stuck to.

IIRC there is a small amount of cement or glue at the area you describe. I have seen the blue-green static take place, and at most have had just a small line where it takes place on the margin of the film.

It varies a lot and depends on humidity.

BTW, take a roll of scotch tape into your darkroom and peel some off. You will see this discharge take place.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darr
    I process ACROS and Velvia Quickloads weekly. Are you standing on carpet or a rug when you are pulling them through the sleeve? Are you located in a cold climate where static electricity may build up in the atmosphere? If so are you wearing shoes (rubber soled) and possibly stand on a rubber mat. I ask because I have never noticed any static light and I am standing on a tile floor in Florida.
    The relative humidity in Florida keeps most instances of static electricity under wraps. It's more prevalent in less tropical climates.
    Chris

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I live in Wisconsin which can be cold and dry but today it was in the 40's and damp. The relative humidity in my darkroom was 65 - 70%. I was standing on vinyl flooring.

PhotoEngineer: on just one of my negatives I noticed a small dark line on one of the corners of the processed negatives. That was the only evidence of mischief that I could find.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Jerold Harter MD

fwp

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    I am in the midst of processing Kodak Tmax 100 Readiloads for the first time. I think I figured out how to disassemble them without too much problem. I notice that when I pull off the cardboard sleeve, a brief green static light occurs right at the end when the cardboard sleeve passed over the plastic piece. I did not notice any fogging with the first batch but I haven't printed them. I try to go slowly, gently, etc. but it always happens.

Should I worry about this? Am I doing it wrong? Thanks.
    I've had the same thing happen to me. Since then before I pull the film I exhale into the sleeve to increase the humidity in the sleeve and help reduce static. I then pull the film out of the sleeve very slowly. I still get a flash every now and then but it's a lot smaller and has never fogged the film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin