Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,766   Online: 941

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Hypo Clear - mixing???

I have bought a bag of Kodak Hypo clearing agent.

I have never used this before but I am really stuck on how to mix it up. On the bag it says something about stock solution etc etc.

Am I right in thinking that you mix a concentrated solution and then use this to make a dilute useable solution?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks,
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    that's what I do, mix a stock solution and then dilute as needed.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WHat is the mix for the stock solution though? - it doesn't seem to say anywhere on the packet.

Thanks,
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think it is two ounces per gallon of water, I put about two ounces in a tray of water. I'm not sure of the exact amount but it works for me. someone else might have a more accurate mixture. I know it's not a lot for a gallon of water though.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    WHat is the mix for the stock solution though? - it doesn't seem to say anywhere on the packet.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Kodak list a 5 gallon size packet of dry chemicals and a 1 gallon size packet.

The 5 gallon packet is apparently intended to produce 5 gallons of concentrated HCA. Each gallon (or fraction thereof) of concentrated HCA is then further diluted 4:1 with water to produce 4 gallons of HCA working solution.

The 1 gallon packet is apparently intended to produce 1 gallon of concentrated HCA. This concentrated gallon (or fraction thereof) of concentrated HCA is then further diluted 4:1 with water

Is the weight of the packet listed? If not, can you weigh your packet and post the result?

Since I know that the primary ingredient in Kodak HCA is Sodium Sulfite (about 20- 25 grams Sodium Sulfite per liter of working solution) I can figure out if you have the 1 gallon or the 5 gallon size.

Other Kodak HCA ingredients are probably:

Sodium Metabisulfite (Sodium Sulfite Buffer)
    EDTA Tetrasodium Salt (Sequestrant/water softener)
    Sodium Citrate (5,5-hydrate) (Sequestrant/water softener)
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been mixing it from the powder as required and then resealing the yellow bag with tape. I worked out the concentration by dividing the working strength volume by the weight of the contents (litres and grams to keep things simple, figures given on the side of the bag).

I think it worked out at 24g per litre of water. I'm not sure whether this is right or not, but it seems to work okay.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Large Format
    Matt
    Yes, the easest way is to mix a stock solution and then dilute for a working solution. I use the 5 gallon package. Mix the powder in water to make one gallon to make the stock solution. Then mix one part of the stock solution with four parts of water(1:4).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually the recent Kodak packages of Hypo-Clearing agent also come in 1 Liter packages, at least in Canada! The packaging states clearly what volume of water you should dilute the powder into, and then what at dilution you should use that solution. Isn't it on your package? Is it shiny plastic yellow, or matte paper/plastic packaging?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of Matt's problems is that he does not know what size HCA packet he has. ("WHat is the mix for the stock solution though? - it doesn't seem to say anywhere on the packet.")

I advised him to weigh the packet. See my previous post in this thread.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've done the sums based on my supply. If Matt mixes 24g of HCA powder per litre of water he will end up with a working strength solution, regardless of size of his packet.

Ahem, I could have put that better really! I'll get my coat...
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin