Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,843   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How Ripe do you let your developer get?

Hi,

I mixed about a litre of Ilford's LC29 developer a while back and have put maybe, geez, I don't even know how many rolls through.. probably about 20.

Anyway... I was wondering how "ripe" people let their developr get..

Do you count it's age by the amount of film it's seen or by how long it's been mixed up? Or perhaps a combination of both...

I know the manufacturer prints recommendations, but what do photographers out there do I wonder??

Thanks

Ivan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Ivan,

I use developer once and discard it. The Jobo tanks use so little that it is still quite inexpensive that way.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I make film developer fresh every time. One of th joys of scratch mixing. I just top up paper developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One-shot. Use it, dump it. Safest way...

Elaborating slightly: I mix up stock solutions regularly and use that (diluted as appropriate) one-shot.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You'll find that most do one-shot, as prior posts have indicated. However, as to your question, "combination" may be the best answer. Developers have capacities - in rolls of film - and shelf lives. Many publish a different life for a "full" bottle and a "partial" bottle. Go with the shortest time.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mix concentrated stock solutions, dilute them to make my working developer which I then use one-shot and dump
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I use LC29 at 1:29 dilution (as recommended) and use it as a one shot developer then dump. Fresh it is a clear liquid but does yellow pretty rapidly once opened. Often if I go to use it and unsure of its condition, especially if it is starting to yellow I will dump it and open a fresh bottle. I now try to develop a number of films over a day or so using the same bottle for economy. Personally I'd never make up a stock of working strength but then thats me being cautious...also I use distilled water when mixing dev, stop and fix for films.

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I mix concentrated stock solutions, dilute them to make my working developer which I then use one-shot and dump
    That's what I do for film as well. For paper, I keep it until the emergence time of the image becomes uncomfortably long.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like a lot of folks here, I mix up stock solutions from powder then dilute to working strength as 1 shot developers. I do not and will not deviate from that process for film. The images you make there are not replaceable. For paper, the situation changes. My main paper developer is Dektol. Like film developer, I mix up stock from powder. I've found that I can save the working solution from session to session with replenishment. If the old brown stuff is less than a week old and stored in a full bottle, anywhere from 25% to 50% of fresh working solution added to it seems to do the trick. Obviously, I'm not terribly precise about this. You can immediately see if the process is proceeding as expected, so at worst you lose a sheet of paper if it is not working properly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    That's what I do for film as well. For paper, I keep it until the emergence time of the image becomes uncomfortably long.

Murray
    ditto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin