Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,140   Online: 865

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Latest Kodak ProPass e-zine -- features B&W Large Format

Well, it's kind of interesting -- Kodak, the beast with 2 mouths, in their latest ezine, Kodak ProPass, is touting B&W films.... a good sign, FWIW.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../forelli.jhtml
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good to see, for what its worth - and I would be lying if I said I had a clue as to what it is, in fact, worth... I think we are witnessing a "common sense revolution" at Kodak - aka "Don't piss off the people still buying your stuff as long as you're selling it".
    I think I am repeating myself - must be old age settingin early

Peter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    ... I think we are witnessing a "common sense revolution" at Kodak - aka "Don't piss off the people still buying your stuff as long as you're selling it".

Peter.
    I believe there is truth in what you're saying. I'm already seeing the beginning of a backlash against digital in the university setting. Of course by the time students return to film for fine art images, all of the college darkrooms will be gone.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Good to see, for what its worth - and I would be lying if I said I had a clue as to what it is, in fact, worth... I think we are witnessing a "common sense revolution" at Kodak - aka "Don't piss off the people still buying your stuff as long as you're selling it".
    I think I am repeating myself - must be old age settingin early

Peter.
    Personally, folks, I don't think it's worth a pee in the woods. Per D'ho-dak, the twits running the show are the same ones who thought it would be good to sell off the processing service back in the 90's. Bad move....VERY bad move. I shouldn't be surprised at a move to divest the company of its ownership in Eastman House altogether. Well, why not? They've all but thrown in the towel to digital, in which, by the way, they are relative latecomers and apparently don't have a clue as to accessing the market. Do they really believe they can make inroads on Sony's market share?
    As to not alienating the market, they have already done that with their announcement of ending their association with film in the next couple of years. I noticed in Freestyle's latest catalog that they don't carry Kodak B&W film anymore... or did I miss it? I got over Kodak about 7 or 8 years ago, and don't really care what happens to them anymore. I will miss several of their films and their chemistry, but not the company. Sad comment, actually, when I remember how their presence permeated photography back when I was a little kid. I still remember the old TV ads that ran during Walt Disney's show in the mid-50's.....God I must be getting too old.

Jon
    from Deepinaharta, Georgia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboy
    I noticed in Freestyle's latest catalog that they don't carry Kodak B&W film anymore... or did I miss it?
    Jon
    page 16-17, and displayed on front and back covers of the latest catalog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jon:

Uh, Kodak does not own or control George Eastman House.

You say you got over Kodak 8 or 9 years ago, but here you are posting ...
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agGNOME
    Yeah... and an online search at freestylephoto.biz give about 34 Kodak B&W items.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Inspite of all the cutbacks, Kodak is likely still the largest maker of black and white film. If we keep buying it, maybe they'll keep making it....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by agGNOME
    Duuhhh, Yep! I missed it! Hard to do when its wedged between EDU Ultra on one side and Lucky and Efke on the other. I stand corrected and admit only to being stupid because of extenuatin' coicomstances, yer honor. I ran through the catalog on my way to Ilford and the regular EDU film and flat out didn't see the effusive Kodak display. My apologies to all.

Jon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar
    Jon:

Uh, Kodak does not own or control George Eastman House.

You say you got over Kodak 8 or 9 years ago, but here you are posting ...

Yes, I am posting despite bluenoses who like to point that kind of thing out. Is there supposed to be something psychological about your statement? Is it supposed to be about my state of mind? Or, your superiority?

If you read my post, I said I got over KODAK, not the loss of their films. To put it in another way, I simply stopped buying Kodak film except for Tech Pan and, on occasion, color print film that I needed NOW and couldn't get to my regular source of film. For normal B&W, I buy Ilford and for color, Fuji print and slide film. I felt then as now, that Kodak (the company) was taking a very wrong turn. I feel they will no longer exist in a few years, at least not as we currently know them. I believe they will go the way of Konica and Minolta in the end.

As for Eastman House, I don't know who owns or operates it, but Kodak certainly has a large association with it. I believe any such association will soon be dispensed with as Kodak goes off in whatever scatterbrained direction their board chooses that day, just as they have done over the past 15 years or so.

Excuse me if it seems I was ranting, but I was merely attempting to make the point that to put any faith in Kodak doing anything whatsoever in OUR interests is tantamount to actually seeking a return of the Crusades. In other words, if your into analog, forget Kodak.

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin